Rolleiflex problem solved

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by martin henson, Aug 2, 2017.

1. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

My Rolleiflex 3.5f which really is a superb peace of photography kit started to produce black lines on the scanned negative, which would be white lines on the undeveloped film, I was at a loss as to how this could occur, tried the same type film in my Bessa 6x9 and no lines on them so that cut out any thought of developing fault.

What could it be that's causing it, well after a very careful look I noticed that one of the 3 film transport rollers was stalling causing the film to be pulled over the second roller rather than rolled and this in turn scraped tiny lines of emulsion off the film surface, a little lubrication solved it and the lines no longer appear.

Like this
    2017-07-28-0002.jpg

2. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

I'm glad it's sorted Martin, Rollies are beautiful cameras and are a treasure that will go on for ever if they are treated with respect. I have fond memories of them as the standard walk-about camera from my RAF photographer days of the nineteen sixties and seventies, usually teamed with a matched set of Rollinar close-up lenses and a Mecablitz 502 flashgun c/w separate battery pack. Ceremonial parades to little bits of aircraft bowels were no problem.

Longitudinal lines such as this are almost always indicative of a film path problem and roll film cameras with roller guides are the worst. Another rare problem which can occur is a small speck of emulsion/dirt adhering to a roller which doesn't cause a scratch if the roller is moving freely but can cause an impression in the emulsion which shows up as a fuzzy area of higher density on the print. It really only shows with higher degrees of enlarement and is usually missed in busy'ish backgrounds but it is in landscape skies that it is usually spotted and mistaken for bird in flight - a bit like the analogue version of the digital dust bunny. :D

3. mpirie

mpirie Member

Wow Keith.....you mentioning a Rollei TLR and a Metz 502 in the RAF days brought back instant memories of the time i spent with another RAF photog while at University. He swore by them (he had 3) and used them in preference to the MPP the department had.

I learned more from him in the short time we worked together than i did in years at college.

Looking back, i must have bored him rigid with the constant questions about processing film and prints.

4. alexmuir

alexmuir Member

I read somewhere that the British Millitary were the largest buyer of the Rolleicord Vb, until it went out of production.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

They are amazing cameras, the engineering is superb so are the top lens, however they are like any precision tool they do need servicing ever few years mine had a full CLA a year ago, this way they will still be around for many years to come.

One other thing to mention is the increase in second hand prices, I paid £500 For my 3.5f around 4 years ago, they are selling for neatly double that now, dependent on condition, mine is immaculate.

The guy I bought it from had 5 including a white face model, they were his deceased fathers collection, wish I had bought all now would have been a great investment

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

No chance, all the togs I served with (and me;)) would talk the proverbial hind leg off a donkey about photography.

I don't ever remember seeing a Rolleicord Alex, I believe they were aimed at the amateur market and although the military could be a bit tight with the readies they upped the ante and went for a T model (K8 T3 if memory serves)but with the 75mm Xenar lens in a Synchro Compur VX shutter.

One or two of the Corporal and Sergeant togs that had been posted to Germany came back with the fabulous Rollieflex with the 2.8 Planar lens - these regularly go for £1000.00+ these days. :eek:

7. mpirie

mpirie Member

One of his was a 'cord and he didn't rate it.....he preferred the 'flex.

Just wish i absorbed more of what he told me and focussed less on having the latest all-singing, all-dancing hardware.