Rollei IR 400

Darren Lewey

I have a box which I cracked open yesterday with the aim of making a series at beach dunes close to me. I initially exposed a test shot at ISO 6 with a 72 filter. I have trawled the net for dev times but nothing is clear with SP445 tank dev. I'm guessing at around 12 mins at 20, but agitation appears to be guesswork at this stage. If anyone has some tips for this film which on first use seems tricky to load (one sheet buckled when I put the dark slide back in), I'd be grateful, thanks.

James T

It's very thin compared with other 5x4 stocks, trying to develop it in a Mod54 is said to be a no-no (it will fall out).
I've developed it in Rodinal or Ilfotec HC (for HC, I used the time on Massive Dev Chart for HC110 + a bit, to give 9:30), "normal" agitation: inversions for the first 30s then 10s (5 inversions) every minute.
As with loading into the DDS, loading into the SP445 is also tricky, just make sure that it's behind all of the tabs, and take care when putting the holders into the tank.
10-12 is (IMHO) a better choice of metering speed, but as with any metering of IR film using visible it's a bit of a lottery.

Darren Lewey

Thanks James, I was extra careful loading. One held in the holders, another slipped loose. I suspect 2 exposures for each set-up maybe a security way around this. Otherwise I went for 12 mins at 20 degrees. 1+1+100 Pyrocat. It's hard for me to tell how much different the scene would be with normal film and some post work. Still, it does not exciting things to the shadow areas for sure. I think it's worth exploring.

Attachments

Last edited:

Diz

I use a 'backing' sheet when developing in a SP445. The backing is one of those films you deliberately fluff for future projects! After development I take the backing out and wash. This washes the anti halide coating off that has been protected by the backing sheet. It was thought of by the developer of the MOD 54 so should work with it.
Cheers
Diz

Neil t3

I like using Rollei Infrared , I like the results it gives , I use it in all formats , 135 , 120 and 5x4 .
Depending what lens /camera I'm using I'll use either a B&W 092 ( 650nm IIRC), Hoya R72 or Cokin R72 P or Z pro slot in filter system . The Cokin filters are now circular like the polariser filters so they don't leak like past them like the earlier square ones . I take a meter reading typically of weathered rock at ISO 6 .

Developing I use a HP Combi-tank and Rodinal .

I pre-soak for about 3 or so minutes then develop at 1+25 for 7 1/2 minutes .
Usual rotation , but very gently and I rotate so the liquid moves along the face of the film and not against it .
I've found the film is not only thinner than Ilford or Foma films , but the sizes are a bit random and often a fraction smaller .
So if your not careful it's easy to dislodge them from the holder.