Reflections

KenS

Popular Poster
Uni'sportals .jpg
Pondering my decision after first seeing this image for my 'Portals' series, I found I had some difficulty 'remembering' the scene as it shows in this image. 'Something' was wrong... it was not making any sense, then..... eventually, when I went back to my Palm Pilot 'notes' find the 'quickie' diagram I had made after replacing the dark-slide.

It became one more of my 'Gibbsian' back-of-the-head-slap times!!!

The 'dark' tower to the left does not 'exist' as seen in the image... There is NO tower rising up on the left.... It is but a 'reflection' of part of a 'higher' building just off to the 'left' that shows up 'nicely' due to the heat-reflecting material on the interior surface of the window.

150 mm Rodenstock with maximum rise to eliminate any image cropping on the front standard, with minimal amount of swing applied on the vertical rear standard to achieve focus along the front surface of the air-intake ducts.

4x5 Kodak Plus-X @ 125th f.16... Developed in in BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD.

Ken

Last edited:
Only a fellow afficionado of a certain military/civilian crime series would understand the 'Gibbsian' reference Ken. ;) Cracking image by the way.

Thank you, kind Sir.
Ken

Keith that was the second of two exposures
The first was processed In PMK that was scanned but... somehow the scan showed about 3/16th to 1/4 inch 'clear around all edges... a something gone wrong with Silverfast on the scan... but they could (or would not) provide an explanation of the how and/or the why. I then re-scanned the negative in 'colour' mode and changed it to B/W and inverted.. That clear area 'remained' on the final image that I posted. I then re-found my undeveloped 'back-up' negative and used Pyrocat HD for very first time . The 'problem' had disappeared and I deleted the first image and completed my change-over to Pyrocat HD as my developer of 'first choice'.

Ken

A little blast from the past here Ken. :) As well as the Gibbsian reference, the issues with the 'is it or isn't it there' tower and the disappearing parts of the negative image, this thread is getting more like an episode from the X-files - <cue creepy music>. :eek: :cool:

I too use Silverfast but I've never come across this paricular problem. I have no answer either except perhaps some sort of preset frame in the scan setup. Perhaps A N Other might have an answer.

Sir Keith... what 'pi**ed me off 'more was the fact that even 'reduce-ing the scan area 'inside' the previous 'chosen' dimensions, the 'cleared' edges were still clearly 'visible' after the scan was 'completed' and a 'copy sent to Silverfast for their 'input' But they seemed to have 'no interest' if offering a solution.

What 'other software might be 'available' for use on my Epson scanner ????? or does Silverfast 'hold the 'rights" ????/

Ken

But the final VB print got me "great positive" feedback from some 'other faculty members... unfortunately it did not 'put me up to an "A".. But I was more pleased by the postive feedback from my fellow class students
So many of them 'waited til it was all over' to inquire about the 'how... AND... the 'why' I was making prints using the 'archaic' photographic print processes when 'normal' B/W printing paper. was so readily available.. but a few wanted me to provide a 'demonstration' but doing so, but the University's "in their acility ban" on the chemicals used, I had to decline... but did offer to so do in my home darkroom... Four of 'em turned up the first Saturday... raring to go "do it'.. It is a good job I don't try and 'keep things of interest' as "Secrets not to be 'shared' "

Ken

........ What 'other software might be 'available' for use on my Epson scanner ????? or does Silverfast 'hold the 'rights" ????/Ken

No they don't Ken. I like and use Silverfast but I strongly disagree with it's policy of licensing the software to just one scanner. :mad: An alternative I also use is Vuescan from Hamrick Software, https://www.hamrick.com/, which allows you to use whatever scanner you want and they support just about every scanner on the market I believe. Ian Barber has some good scanning videos on his website at https://digitalblackandwhite.co.uk/product-category/videos and there is also lots of stuff on the 'net.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Yes, give VueScan a try. It has worked with every scanner I've owned. There will be a gentle learning curve because it's not arranged in quite the same way.
I do agree about Silverfast's greedy pricing.

David,
I eventually deleted the Silverfast software and got Viewscan 'up and going' I believe it is much 'easier' to use and have been more than happy to benefit from the "free" updates after Apple updated the OS to Catalino

Ken

Back