Reciprocity Timer App

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Ian-Barber, Sep 15, 2016.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member

Well... when you have a scientist tapping his foot on the floor waiting for his latest 'series' of images of stained polyacrylamide gels... or the batch of petri-dish cultures to be made... (as 'singletons' and 'groups with the control') and your official 'quitting-time' time was 37 minutes ago (when they should have been brought in three hours ago when they were first removed from the incubator and 'inspected')

Dammit!!! THAT must be why most of the hair disappeared from my head... (and my beard became somewhat 'patchy')... while both the 'finger-print' and the 'nail' on my right forefinger had all but 'disappeared' due to my having left the Palm Pilot at home with 'dead' batteries. :cool:

I have just installed new batteries in my old out-of-date... but experienced Palm Pilot and about to boot up the old Mac to 're-load' the memory in the 'one-hand hold-able' AAA battery powered abacus.... and I can add my latest 'screw-up' into its memory.

Ken

2. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

If you follow the method I posted above, which I've used for nearly 40 years of LF photography, it's all very simple and no technology is required. All you need is some sort of tape measure; I've always used those soft, flexible tape measures used by folks who sew. Measure from the film plane to the nodal point of the lens. Since I don't use retro-focus type lenses, that's from the film plane to the center of the lens. Simple. Quick. Accurate enough.

4. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

There have been many ways of doing this promulgated over the years Alan, I was merely pointing out that if you knew the basics you would never be stuck. :)

5. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    Or work out the exposure for a moon rise over Hernandez by recalling the luminence of the moon's surface in c/ft2....

6. alexmuir

alexmuir Member

The App uses total extension as the basis of the calculation. If you have a 150mm lens and total bellows extension of 300mm, you get a 2 stop compensation. If you were to input that as 150mm of extension, the App would apply zero compensation.
    There is some info in the App itself regarding the methods by which compensation is calculated, and it gives an explanation of the two entries for Fomapan 100, one being described as 'Classic'. I'm not sure that it takes you much beyond trying both and deciding which gives you the most useful result.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

Exactly! Sunny 16 and all that... :)

8. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

Haha! Sorry, I never could wrap my head around all that c/ft2 stuff. ;) Good thing I never tried to use an SEI photometer. :)

9. KenS

KenS Active Member

Stephen...

I still have an SEI meter (from many many moons ago .. ) played around with it for a while... was aware of their accuracy but could NOT REALLY GET INTO IT for every day use... so... I took the battery out and put it away. It now rests 'peacefully'(with minimal experience) in its leather 'holster', in a drawer.

Ken