Pyrocat HD

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Ian-Barber, Jun 29, 2017.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    Ian,

Pyrocat HD does not produce anywhere near the dramatic stain 'colour' that a number of the earlier pyrogallol developers may provide. Looking at the vast majority of the my sheet-film negatives in the years since my 'retirement', you would have a hard time being able to tell that they were NOT processed in any of the more common B/W developers.... other than the extremely fine 'grain' that Pyrocat HD provides. I cannot comment on Pyrocat HD used with 'hanger-in-tank' development since I have only used BTZS tubes for my large format negatives for the past 15 years... and would be 'hard put' to return to either tray or hard rubber tanks for my developing.

If you would like to see an 'enlarged' section of one of my negatives scanned in full 'colour' rather than a straight B/W, I could provide one.

Ken

2. steve

steve New Member

Hi Ian,
    There a chap selling HD on ebay based in the UK.

3. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Steve, I have now found a supplier in the UK who mixes it to 1trl bottles and I am pleased with the service

4. steve

steve New Member

Really. Now you're getting me interested. Is it a reasonable price?

5. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I had a word with Kevin at Wetplatesupplies about mixing my own and he convinced me that it would be better for him to mix it especially as he has a lot of knowledge in this area.

He suggested that to maximise shelf life, mix it in Glycol.

These are the pre-mixed options he came up with.
    http://www.wetplatesupplies.com/pyrocat-hd-premixed.html

I have been very happy with the service, the packaging is excellent and mine is still going strong

6. mpirie

mpirie Member

One thing for those of us in remote locations to watch out for is the cost of shipping (not the supplier's fault).

To have this dev shipped to me in the Northwest is £19....which almost doubles the cost for the 500ml kit.

Mike

7. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    While there is likely to be a source of the required 'ingredients' within the UK boundaries, and small electronic scales available, is there any reason that you should not search out a source for the the ingredients, get some distilled water at the 'drug store' ie local chemists and make your own Pyrocat HD? I've been doing it for years... (wearing gloves and a face mask) it is NOT that complicated

Ken

8. mpirie

mpirie Member

You're right Ken, it's not a difficult thing to do.......but to get the raw chemicals shipped is just as expensive as the pre-made developers since the health and safety rules of the shipping agents means that have to protect themselves from potential spills. It would also appear that many of our suppliers are dropping some of the key constituents.

I was physically removed from a flight several years ago because i had two 500ml bottles of Rodinal in my checked baggage. Despite arguing with the officials that a can of Coca Cola was more corrosive.....as soon as they say the "corrosive" symbol on the Rodinal they gave me the option of keeping the dev or flying, but not both. Needless to say with the look on my wife's face, I ended up sacrificing the dev :-(