Portals

ShedDoor.jpg

I don't know when I was built... and no-one comes to visit me any more. I am now too old to repair, too old to repaint, too large to relocate, too full to to accept any more items no longer in acceptable working condition. So I have decided that it will be best if I will just sit here and perhaps provide some refuge for small creatures when its too hot... too cold...or even too windy.... perhaps even when the snow is too deep for too long.

240mm Rodenstock Sironar on Linhof monorail.
exposure not recorded, but... developed in BTZS tubes and Pyrocat HD

Ken

Last edited:
Windowandhammer copy.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder if I might ever get into legal difficulties for 'looking' in or 'at' the old farm building windows and doors. I'm not sure of the 'how' or of the 'why' I actually missed seeing the hammer on the sill until I was about to depress the shutter cable.... I was tempted to 'remove' it just for the photograph... but then 'remembered' that I had indicated that I would not touch or remove anything while I was on the farm property. The 'tones'... or colour of the wood has not been 'enhanced' in any way. What is seen here is what was there... at that moment while the 'forgotten' hammer is probably still where it had been left... 'still' forgotten.

Plus-X with 240mm Sironar on Linhof monorail. Exposure.. if my memory serves me well enough... was 1/125 second at f16. Developed in Pyrocat HD... but was probably my 'normal'. I don't usually make these 'records' any more.. I didn't have the time when 'working'... I didn't have the time when I might go through 20 to 30 'sheets' every day.... Sorry... but I'm not really convinced that it is necessary.... or really 'of much help to others'.

Ken

Last edited:
stairwellportal.jpg

Second week of February... Clear sky.... 9.35 am... the sun shining fit to burn your eyes out, but.... when the temperature is still slowly 'nudging' up towards -27°C., it becomes the time to shed the "Hero coat" and head INTO the warmth of the Fine Arts building...to find an 'Indoor Portal'... Humph the Zone VI tripod, the camera bag filled to overflowing with Linhof monorail, 3 lenses, loaded film holders, light meters, dark-cloth, and 'Thermos' filled to the brim with hot coffee.. and take to elevator to the 6th Floor to find that I am not the only early bird. I am set up within my self imposed 15-minute time limit... and make one of my two allotted exposures.... and get home to my darkroom for the 'rest of the work'.
Linhof monorail, 240mm Sironar, Plus-X film developed (normal) in BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD. developer

Ken

Last edited:
RepairTime.jpg

Repair or demolish? Might the "Now" be the time to replace the whole shed?

Both time and weather seem to have taken the 'best' out of the old farm tool-shed. It seemed to be well past the time when a 'new' coat of paint might be be of any benefit.... but... from the 'smell' emanating from this doorway, since my camera was mounted 'down-wind' from the light breeze, it was somewhat difficult to even 'think' about what might have been better 'spot' from which to make the exposure to the film when my intent was to record the deterioration brought about by both weather and time.

I decided to wait until the late evening sun had just disappeared below the horizon to benefit from the few minutes of what John Sexton describes as the period of 'Quiet Light', before depressing the shutter release on my Linhof monorail, the 240mm Sironar and Ilford FP4 which was developed in BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD. I believe (if I can read my quickly scribbled notes well enough... ) was either 1/2 or 1/4 second @ f.11 One of the 2 sheets got 'dropped' and fell to the floor and I could not find it in the dark (yes... Like an idiot, I too have switched on the light to find a dropped sheet, but only ever once!... (and that was a LONG time ago).

Ken

CedarShakes.jpg

We don't get to see Cedar shake exteriors on many buildings any more. Splitting cedar to make the shakes seems have become one more of the 'dying' crafts... along with the need for the skilled and labour intensive installation.. similar to to the old hand-split slate shingles for roofing. More than just a few of the shingles are now 'missing' from the windowless opposite side of this old farm 'storage shed'. I think I would like to make a few more photographs of this building before they make the decision to demolish it... or a really strong Chinook windstorm blows it down.

Exposure time not recorded (mistake). Plus X behind 240mm Sironar on Linhof. Developed with Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes

Ken

Last edited:
UoLLibrary.jpg

North portals of the University library, now with 100% cloud cover about three-quarters of an hour after the previous image above. Fingers beginning to loose all feeling on the 'tips' due to the cold now that I am 'outside' again. 150 mm Rodenstock lens with the minimal swing on the rear standard to bring closest 'corner' into focus at the film plane. Ilford FP4 behind the 150mm Rodenstock with the iris set to f16 for the last exposure for this day. No filtration required for any subject contrast adjustment. Developed in BTZS tubes using Pyrocat HD. Quick 'note' made on Palm Pilot reads "NO more early morning exposures until either the temperatures are within shirt-sleeve temperatures... or forget about using the Linhof.... idiot!!!!"

Ken, (who nearly always obeys)

Last edited:
Half'nHalf.jpg

It is sometimes more than difficult (when making photographs of the windows and doors as 'portals' on these old wooden farm buildings) to decide which 'edge' of the portals to 'frame'... Should I select for either the 'their' current 'off of horizontal or vertical' when they have now become somewhat skewed out of the 'original' squares or rectangles from when they were originally built?.. Or... should I set the camera's film plane to the correct vertical/horizontal, and let the edges 'fall where they may'? (OK... as you may have observed from most of my previous submissions, that I prefer to set the rear standard to the vertical.)

240mm Sironar on the Linhof monorail. According to my Palm Pilot record, exposure was 1/8 @f11. (one of the few times I remember to record that info) with Ilford FP4. the film received 'Normal' development in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Sssssssshhhhhh dammit! You were not supposed to notice that 'screw-up'. I thought I had 'ducked down' far enough, but could not see that it was not 'far enough'

You were only supposed to notice the great 'composition', the fine detail in the ageing wood.... the correct exposure and the good job of processing the film... and of the somewhat decent result of a 'beginner's' abilities to scan a large format negative.

Bad Keith... bad!

Ken
[ :cool: ]

.....You were only supposed to notice the great 'composition', the fine detail in the ageing wood.... the correct exposure and the good job of processing the film... and of the somewhat decent result of a 'beginner's' abilities to scan a large format negative. [ :cool: ]

I didn't see the point in commenting on the obvious Ken - well that's my excuse anyway. ;)

DSCN3545.JPG
The 'easiest'... fastest... and probably MUCH cheaper means of preventing the wind from howling through the broken glass on 'Ye olde Storage Shed' window on the windward side, is a piece of discarded plywood and a few nails. It ain't really 'pretty'... but it does the job.

I set up a few feet to the left of center and applied a front shift to help eliminate the chance of the un-wanted... or the 'less than desirable' reflection of the camera and/or photographer being recorded to the film, when making the exposure... when he can't... or perhaps sometimes forgets... to 'duck down' far enough... Yes it can... it CAN happen... Dammit!!! it HAS happened.
8-(

Kodak Plus-X at 1/125 second f.11+1/3 behind my 240 mm Sironar on the Linhof monorail. Film received 'normal' development in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

OddStablePortal.jpg
I was somewhat intrigued by a row of three similar 'portals' along either side of an old abandoned farm building. I was only on peeking 'through' a few of the spaces between the verticals that I thought I recognized their purpose... This old building had been the 'residence' (stable) for large draft horses so common on the prairies those many years ago. Their purpose was confirmed after having a look through the now large double-door (now missing a couple of boards) that was still well and truly 'nailed shut'. There was a large and somewhat 'decrepid' draft-horse collar hanging on the end of one of the stalls

These 'barred' portals (rather than glass), were at the the front of each of the six horse stalls ... probably for both light and 'fresh' air.

Kodak Plus-X exposed behind my 240mm Rodenstock on a Linhof monorail mounted on a ZVI "woodie" (while I stood on an old discarded bucket). Film developed in BTZS tubes (using my usual 'rotary' manner) in Pyrocat HD for 'normal' development.

Ken

DoorKnob2.jpg

This is the 'first' exposure to film that I made of this 'portal' of an old and abandoned farm building on the Southern Alberta Prairies. This is first of two images I made of of this door, (the second being the close-up of the door knob I posted earlier in this 'series'). There were a couple of other buildings that I would like to 're-visit' in a few months to make some more images... but I am going to have to do some 'hunting' since I seem to have lost my notes on 'Lat/Long' in the iPhone.

Ilford FP4 behind my 240mm Rodenstock Sironar and developed in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

BarredWidow.jpg

Alone, alone, all all alone.

An old and abandoned and weather-beaten farm-house on the S. Alberta 'flat-lands' which, when making my circuit around it to find a 'portal', I took note that this was the only building visible anywhere, in any direction within my 360° view of the horizon.... I had invited myself onto the property to make a 360° circuit in order to 'select' the one that seemed the most interesting to 'my eye' at that time. I chose this 'partial' view of the rear wall to show the barred window but also to include as much as possible of the old fence-lines with its one remaining strand of wire. I left this property behind with somewhat of a 'strange' feelings of both sever 'isolation' and a quiet sadness. As much as I (for myself) 'like this image', I'm not sure if I might like to re-visit to make some more photographs.

Ilford FP4 behind the 240mm Sironar (no filtration), using the smallest amount of rear swing on my Linhof monorail, to have full focus across the horizontal film plane. Film was developed as 'normal' with Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Alone.jpg

A second, full image of the wall of my previous abandoned 'Alone' farmhouse, to show the two windows (as portals) in the south wall... along with the now unrecognizable entrance to the farmhouse basement. It may have been either how coal for the furnace was delivered... or a means of allowing natural light to provide a little illumination to the basement. There is little left to indicate the true intention of this portal.

Ken

Libraryexit.jpg

The main entry/exit portal on the 6th level leading out of the local university's library with the usual corridor displays. My last exposure on that cold winter day just before 'the seething hoard' starts arriving for work... or the first class of the day. Pentax spot-meter reading off the both reflected 'outside' scene visible on the glass display cabinet on the right and then and given a minor 'gut-feeling' adjustment (I believe it may also be referred to as "Kentucky windage") for the 'white' sign board visible to the left, with last minute decision to let the 'low' levels 'fall where they may"

Kodak Plus-X behind my 150mm Rodenstock on a Linhof monorail. Exposure was recorded as 1 second at 1/3 stop under f22. Film was developed as 'normal +10%' in Pyrocat HD, in BTZS tubes.

Ken

ADayLate.jpg

I'm just guessing.... but perhaps the owner was somewhat more than day or two late with the replacement pane of glass... and realized, somewhat too late, that he 'should' have bought two panes before the frame on his well-aged storage shed window 'collapsed'.

Kodak Tmax100 behind the 240mm Sironar on my Linhof monorail. Film developed N+1
in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Back