Portals

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by KenS, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho

2. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I have recently been watching a series of videos from the late Fred Picker who also adopted this approach by exposing the high values to Zone VIII. An interesting thought

3. KenS

The great thing about it is... that it 'works'. I used to have a bit of a 'fight' with my supervisor when I was working at the Agriculture Research Centre he always seemed to prefer the incident light meter values.. which often made it more difficult for me when 'reprints' were requested. I tried to persuade him to read Fred's writings (unfortunately,
    to of no avail) he much preferred to 'do it' they way he had been taught.. and usually had to do a significant amount of burning in and/or 'bleaching'/ to the print to achieve a half decent density 'range' that could easily meet the needs of the scientists.

If I send the new file direct to you, might it be easier for you to change the files?

Ken

4. KenS

One other 'thought'
    While at a Biological Photographic Association conference at Kodak in Rochester, my written notes at one of the presentations.. Both Ektachrome and Kodachrome had extremely 'tight' processing temperature/developing times that did not allow for any variations.
    Slide films NEEDED the right exposure... or you were "out of luck". Since many of the attendees were photographing
    during medical operations/procedures that had to be right-on the first time. That's where the 'white with texture' on Zone VIII came to be the only solution to being "correct" the first time. That's when I decided it would/should also work with B/W sheet film... and I have been happy to so do for those many years.

Ken