Portals

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by KenS, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KenS

KenS Active Member

FoundDoorStop.jpg
    Farm folks around the world follow the phrase "use what you have, and you'll never want". Something was needed here to reduce the chance of the wind blowing the door open as soon as his back was turned. This works well enough.

There was a 'framing' decision to be made between the 'vertical' of the door and that of the 'wall' boards.... I decided to choose the wall boards because they 'agreed' more closely with the spirit-level on the rear standard of my Linhof.... and I had only the one unexposed sheet of film left available without a 15 minute walk back to my car... and the home-made film loading-box where my film was 'hiding'.

Just as I was loading my equipment back into my car, a female RCMP officer (on patrol) 'arrived' to have a conversation and "to check on both my purpose.. and my safety"... and shortly thereafter, was quite happy to enjoy a well chilled non-alcoholic beverage from my cooler as we readily discussed the 'whys, wherefores... and the benefits' of the craft of photography with a large format camera for a further 30 (or so) minutes.

The Ilford FP4 exposed behind my 240mm Sironar... was developed as 'normal' in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Richard Warom likes this.
  2. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

Wonderful patterns and textures in the timbers Ken and a great addition to the series which I am enjoying very much.

3. KenS

KenS Active Member

Barn.jpg

I was somewhat surprised to come across the only barn that I have ever seen that seems to have a separate, but visually-blocked with what seemed to be a white plastic, 'employee door'... so close beside the (usually) much larger larger doors that allow for the passage of tractors and the associated large field implements. Since there were clear glass windows (through which I did not look), on the side of barn (to the left) I can but assume that this end of the barn was the inevitable 'workshop area'.

Recorded to Ilford FP4 behind the 240mm Sironar on the Linhof monorail without any filtration. Exposed as per incident light meter reading at f11 with the 1/2 stop allowance for bellows extension and developed as 'normal' in BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD

Ken

4. KenS

KenS Active Member

AlmostFull.jpg

I was down in my darkroom on Tuesday evening... doing some necessary redding-up in preparation for the work after my next foray out with the Linhof now that some 'decent' weather may (finally?) be 'on its way'. Recent weeks of thunder-storms with heavy rain and/or high winds have plagued my intentions to 'get out and do' for too long.

I came across a film holder that 'indicated' it was still loaded with 'exposed' film and 'marked' as a 'Portal' that was exposed but not developed last fall.... somehow was misplaced.... or just 'missed' because it was a 'singleton'.. and awaiting a second sheet of film with which to 'partner' for development.

'Noted' exposure was for 1/125 at f.16+2/3 onto Ilford FP4 behind the 150mm Rodenstock on the Linhof monorail, and developed as 'normal' in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes. I have 'clipped' off a little of the grassed area in the foreground.

Ken

5. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

Now that's a real man's shed!:cool:

6. Bill Martindale

Bill Martindale Member

Nice work Ken. That last shot is excellent.
    I admit I really like this series, or is it a project? While looking through it again this morning I noticed that the door in Post 21 appears to be the same as Post 41. There are differences as the door in Post 41 seems to have more weeds at the bottom. With that in mind do you revisit some of these barns or portals at different times of the year to capture different seasons?

Noting your comment on framing in Post 41 you have selected the boards to keep vertical but in Post 21 the top of the door is parallel to the edge of the frame. Different visit different thoughts?

Keep up the good work.