Plague Stone, Bubonic Plague/BlackDeath

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by Keith Haithwaite, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

I mentioned in this post http://www.5x4.co.uk/threads/nostell-priory-boat-house.368/ that I took two sheets of film out in an effort to break my 'photographers block'. This is the result of the second sheet of film. For those not familiar with such artefacts this is how many communities communicated and traded in spite of the plague. Plague stones were described as "receptacles for sterilising coins in vinegar, normally at or close to parish boundaries." and were used to facilitate the purchase of food and other goods from non-infected areas. Situated on the boundary between a parish and the nearby town this stone is also a grade II listed monument.

Plague_Stone_Vig2.jpg
    Shen Hao, Schneider 150mm f5.6,
    Fomapan 100 @ ISO 50, 1/4sec @ f22,
    Diafine 4+4min
    Epson V800, Vuescan

Ian Bell and Richard Warom like this.
  2. Ian Bell

Ian Bell New Member

Spent a week staying in Eyam in the Peak District a couple of years ago. This was the village that isolated itself when the Black death broke out , to protect others. There are several similar stones around the approaches to the village, but as they are in the middle of fields, they don't make such a great photo as yours.

3. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

Thanks Ian. It would have made a better picture had there been no road markings but we have to take what comes - or resort to Photoshop!;) I'm told that this is more or less the spot where it stood originally, by the side of what is now called the A628 Pontefract to Manchester road.