Paper Alternative To Ilford MG

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
As one would expect, I am burning through quite a bit of paper as I am testing different things in the darkroom and was wondering if anyone could recommend any alternative to Ilford MG RC Pearl 8x10 or 7x5 which may be a little cheaper for me whilst I am experimenting with what happens if I do this or that...

Bill Martindale

Kentmere VC Select. Slightly harder and slightly faster than MG. Made by Ilford.
Also think about Fotospeed paper. Their Oyster finish is quite nice.
I’ve used both and been happy with them. I am assuming you are wanting to use RC for now. Checking a couple of suppliers there is not a great saving though. Best seems to be Sharif Photographic but you need to consider postage costs. https://www.sharifphotographic.co.uk/

Ian Grant

You might look out for Ilford Multigrade IV RC paper in rolls. I've bought two in the past 18 months both Glossy 12.7cm (5") wide, one 52m long, the other 75m, that's equivalent to 292 7"x5" prints from the first and 421 from the second. neither were expensive I think £20 for the one and £35 for the bother, that's compared to £26.26 for a 100 sheet box of 7x5 MG IV RC Deluxe, even Kentmere is £21 per 100 sheets.

I'm still using up some Kodak VC RC paper rolls I was given 15 years ago by my local lab, and they were old stock then, they print perfectly, no loss of contrast or fogging.

Ian

Ian Grant

Yes, one box is MG IV Deluxe which is standard MG, the other (75m) is Multigrade IV Express which is about a stop faster and designed for shorter automatic exposures but is OK for normal enlarger use as well.

Ian