New Winter Work

thronobulax

Very Active Poster
I just got an 8 1/2" f/6.5 Commercial Ektar that I promptly cleaned up and thus wanted to try out. I prefer "testing" while attempting to make real pictures, not just test shots.

Speed Graphic, Agfapan APX 100. I tried something new this time - very long, high dilution EMA in Pyrocat-HD - 1.5:1:333 for 60min with 3 midpoint agitations.

Scans of silver prints made on Fomabrom VC Variant 111.

(Yes, critiques are fine. I promise not to cry or sulk about ...)

Attachments

• 20220211-1-08-Winter_Branches.jpg
    20220211-1-08-Winter_Branches.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220211-1-12-Tangled.jpg
    20220211-1-12-Tangled.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
20220211-1-12-tangled-jpg.
l really like
20220211-1-08-winter_branches-jpg Doesn't really float my aquatic conveyance. No centre for the eye to fall on. Nice patterns but it needs a point... to me anyway

I like the crispness and contrast of both but neither jump out and say you want this on your wall.

So I THINK that means I like what you did with the developing but the images themselves didn't inspire me.

I mostly concur. Both were more technical exercises and as @Marley points out, the branches lack a centrally interesting point of view.

I do think the tangled roots could have been more interesting at somewhat higher contrast. The experiment here was to see how highly dilute developer fared when used for a very long standing period but with increased agitation. The answer is that it noticeably diminished overall contrast, even though local contrast was enhanced.

I have read that the Commercial Ektars tended to run a bit lower in contrast than the modern lenses, which I'll confirm with further shooting. It wouldn't be shocking as their primary intended role (or one of them anyway) was portraiture. If so, that would have further exacerbated a contrast lowering development scheme.

Ah yes, I missed the bit about them being a test.

60 minutes in developer just blows my mind. It's like entering a world of artistry, chemistry and alchemy.

I'm looking forward to seeing more results, will you be able to set up some portraiture tests?

Ah yes, I missed the bit about them being a test.

60 minutes in developer just blows my mind. It's like entering a world of artistry, chemistry and alchemy.

I'm looking forward to seeing more results, will you be able to set up some portraiture tests?

I almost never do any portraiture, so that would be difficult. I do have an online growing gallery of scans of my workbook prints at:

I seek artistry, the chemistry is a matter of technique, I've never figured out alchemy ;) I've documented my findings on extended, low agitation techniques here. Beware - there be dragons there:

Thank you. Seems since I discovered LF there be Dragon's bloody everywhere ;) :D :D

Thank you. Seems since I discovered LF there be Dragon's bloody everywhere ;) :D :D

Ha. The trick is to reduce them to mere lizards. I will say that - until you've mastered conventional development - I'd recommend you stay away from stand developing in any of its forms.

Wise words I'm sure and you can bet I'll be following them. :cool:

Back