Need Clarification With Kodak HC-110

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Ian-Barber, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    According to the data sheet (attached)....

My Question:

Can I mix just a small amount of stock (500ml) from the concentrate (syrup) using 1+3 or do I have mix the stock from a full bottle of concentrate (syrup) ?

Attached Files:

2. KenS

KenS Active Member

Ian,
    I'm tempted to say that 'you bought it... use it the best way you think fits your needs'.
    I have quite a few of the 'small' plastic bottles sitting on a shelf, after having been offered it at a "bargoon price" a number of years ago... I have used HC110 in 'all the possible 'dilution ways' but since 'finding' and using Pyrocat HD developer for use in my BTZS tubes... and no longer processing more than 6 to 10 sheets from a "good morning (or afternoon) under the dark-cloth.

If I were back processing that number, or more, every day... (as when I was 'working'), then printing only on silver-gelatin paper, I might be persuaded to reconsider using HC110 as one of my 'standard' developers. I have used it in a replenishment 'system' as well as 'one-shot'

Ken

3. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Thanks for the reply Ken

Can I mix just a small amount of stock (500ml) from the concentrate (syrup) using 1+3 or do I have mix the stock from a full bottle of concentrate (syrup) ?

4. KenS

KenS Active Member

Ian,
    Yes... you are 'allowed' to make your desired concentration right out of the 'syrup'. That being said you have to be REALLY careful to 'TAKE the required amount of time' to measure to volume of syrup. I am not the only one to be in too much of a hurry when using a measuring cylinder with a somewhat low viscosity... and changed over to using syringes WITHOUT the needle. But after my retirement, was given a "hard time" when attempting to purchase the same. As I mentioned,
    I would be 'hard put' to go back to HC110 for the amount I would use by choice.

Ken

5. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Thanks for the clarification ken, I want to make up a working solution to what is described in "The Negative" but was not sure if I could just make up a small amount of stock from the syrup first before I dilute the working solution further

6. KenS

KenS Active Member

Ian,
    There was a time when I 'enjoyed' using HC110 due to relatively 'small' amount required for 'one shot' use. There was a short time when we tried the 'replenishment' route (at work in the lab) when using tanks and hangers but it was somewhat of a PITA when the 'someone else' might process 6 sheets (of which one or two might be well underexposed but he'd replenish for the total number of sheets... and the developer would get out of "whack"... but he's not say anything about it until I had to "bitch" about having to re-do some of my exposures due to over development. So... I decided to use Tmax developer for one-shot.... until I 'found' how well Pyrogallol (PMK) and Pyrocatechin HD exceeded my expectations... in my darkroom at home... and saved my 'sanity'.... Then... when we could no longer 'afford' the turn-around for Kodak's processing of E-6 I managed to persuade for the 'investment' in a Wing-Lynch for both E6 and all our B/W with Tmax.. and found out how well 'rotary processing' met my needs... and still use it wth Pyrocat HD... albeit now by hand. I doubt I will ever 'go back' to any of the 'commercial developers' again.

Ken

7. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    The way I read page 2 of the data sheet, Kodak seem to be suggesting only using a small amount of concentrate rather than a full bottle - unless it comes in 19ml, 31ml etc. bottles.

It would only be a problem splitting developers when they come in powder form, and the powder is a mixture rather than a single compound. The only problem I can see with liquids would be if the liquid was itself a mixture (highly unlikely for a developer) of liquids that didn't dissolve into each other, or if some elements had precipitated out but would be redissolved on diluting.

8. alexmuir

alexmuir Member

I use HC110 regularly. I just mix what I need for a single session. There are two things to look out for.
    Firstly, the dilutions are made to be readily mixed in fluid ounce, rather than metric quantities. You can get round this by either working in fluid ounces, or calculating metric volumes that give easily measured volumes of concentrate.
    The second point is to make sure you mix the solution well. The concentrate doesn't immediately dissolve. I put the concentrate in a small beaker, add some water and thoroughly mix it. The balance of water is added to the total via the small beaker.
    There is good HC110 info in an APUG thread "HC110 made simple", and on the Covington Innovations website.
    Unless you had plenty of storage, making up a full litre wouldn't be a great idea. The introduction of water also greatly reduces the shelf life of the concentrate.
    Alex

Ian-Barber likes this.
  9. robclarke

robclarke New Member

You don't need to use the whole bottle to make the 1+3 stock, you can make whatever quantity you want.

I think the only reason they suggest diluting it via this two step process is because of the difficulty of accurately measuring the small amounts of viscous liquid. I tend to avoid the two step process and just measure out the right amount of syrup using a syringe made for measuring out medicine.

10. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    So... if Adams diluted 1+31 from stock, would you say I am not far off diluting 1+119 from syrup to reach the same.

11. robclarke

robclarke New Member

12. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    We are sorted now :)

I will try 1+119 and forget the intermediate step

PS: Just need some sun now to get more than 2 stops I am getting today