MPP Mk VII with 150 Xenar.

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Jim Edge, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jim Edge

Jim Edge New Member Registered User

I have a spare MPP Mk VII with 150mm Xenar. Excellent condition, lens immaculate with silky smooth shutter. Looking for offers over £350 plus carriage.

2. martin henson

martin henson Admin Staff Member Registered User

Pictures would be helpful

3. YorkshireBloke

YorkshireBloke New Member Registered User

Hi,

Sounds interesting, I have access to 5x4 enlarger and have been drawn either to the sensible medium format.... OR plunge in, no holds barred, you only live once and go 5x4!

For my usual street and general photography I am very happy with the 35 mm and basic digisnap cameras I own.

Comments appreciated! From Yorkshire so please tell me straight ...

Robert

4. martin henson

martin henson Admin Staff Member Registered User

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, MF you have more frames, better portability, usually a clearer image with a viewfinder that shows the correct way up, maybe built in meter, cheaper lens, more versatile.

4x5 shots limited to how many film holders you are prepared to carry, no built-in meter, spot meter needed, image will be upside down and reversed horizontally, a knowlege of camera movements not essential but something you will need to learn, cost per image.

LF has the advantage of been able to develop to the subjects Dynamic Range (DR), not practical with roll film unless all images were taken in the same light and DR.

Dont think 4x5 good for street photography, however medium format is excellant.

That's a brief insight, I am sure others here will add there thoughts.

From one Yorkshire lad to another, plunge in and get both formats :rolleyes:

5. Jim Edge

I need to post a few photos of the MPP. If you are interested in buying please message me.
    (I have taken pictures but just not got round to posting yet).

6. YorkshireBloke

Hi,

Thanks Martin: Jim I will contact you, not sure yet but close to adding Medium Format OR 5x4 to my 35 mm gear.

Specifically: is the quest for rich, smooth tonality and big enlargement options realiseable with 6x6/7 or will "size out" and make me to wish I had gone 5x4?

Horse for courses. I want to produce beautiful images for my home. I stopped going on "adventurous photo-quests" decades ago (pre dawn rise, drive for hours, set up 35 mm... and sigh sadly).

As a middle-aged guy I can "quest again" and want to maximise the quality of the results.

Secondly IF I go 5x4 would a pre-owned MPP MK VII be a reasonable choice for a novice? Or buy a new Intrepid and search for a lens and panel??

Your opinions much appreciated (Jim my be biased but I know we Btits like to argue against ourselves too!).

Robert

7. YorkshireBloke

From one Yorkshire lad to another, plunge in and get both formats :rolleyes:

I get great support at home and could possibly swing both BUT I fear the amount of time using three different systems would mean I struggle to master ANY! (I'm not retired).

Also all my photographic life has been dominated by spending on GEAR not FILM! I am a classic case and need to grow up (at 57....).

So the discovery of the Aire Street Darkroom, a community project where I can "rent" the use of a de Vere, force wash etc means I don't have to set up my own at home.

John Arniston is the key contact, still early days, I am a Johnny-come-lately, not a founder member. Look on FaceBook, darkroom is very close to Leeds station.

Robert

8. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member Registered User

None (retired)
    I have both 120 and 5x4. Which I use depends on the subject matter and weather. There's no question that you'll get better large prints from a larger negative, but how large do you want to go? I'll stick my neck out and say that landscapes and buildings are more suited to LF, and I moved up to 5x4 to save weight after a day spent round Wells with a RZ67 and shift lens.

If you don't mind the less convenient OF, and the higher film costs, I'd say go for it now because you'd probably go for it later otherwise.

I was born in Doncaster and grew up near Wakefield...

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    The MkVII is the best of the MicroTecnical cameras well built with plenty of movements. Can be used hand held as well.

Jim needs to add the photos. if it's in excellent condition as he says with a range-finder, and the focus hood that's a fair price the lens alone is worth about £100-£120. They (a few) do sell on ebay for more but.

It's heavier than an Intrepid but will last a lot longer, be a lot sturdier and far less prone to wind vibration, has far more bellows extension (it's triple extension so approx 45cm/18").

I bought my own MkVII about 18 months ago off another forum - it was cheap - the seller said pay me after you've received it in case you want to send it back, he knew it had issues, luckily I had the missing parts and in 5 minutes it was fixed. In my case the parts missing where a focus hood, and the end srew nuts on the rear extension rods, and there's no range-finder someone removed it.

My point there is you're better buying an LF camera that you know is complete, which I'm sure we can assume Jim's is, as well as the excellent condition.

Ian

10. Jim Edge

I will take a more comprehensive set of photos today and try to get them posted. The MPP still has its coupled range finder and its focussing hood. The spring fastener for mounting the focussing hood to the universal back has lost a mounting screw so is held in place by one screw, but is going nowhere. Also there is no sports finder, but I never used the camera hand held. I am sure you will agree it's excellent condition once I get the photos posted.

11. Jim Edge

DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0059.JPG DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0059.JPG DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0058.JPG DSC_0057.JPG DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0055.JPG DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0054.JPG photos now uploaded. if you need any more specific shots let me know.

Extra info - the rangefinder cam is the original matched to the lens and bearing the same serial number. Plus, I have three original MPP wooden darkslides which I will include in sale price (I have seen these darkslides on Ebay for up to £25 each)

Jim