Long exposures and negative contrast

That's why I quoted mine. I suppose it's something we can't control.
Some sites include a step wedge to check the monitor, but I've not found them much use.
The Other Ian might have some useful advice.

I suspect variations in monitors is also a bigger factor.

Ian

When I teach Digital Photoshop Workshops it never fails to amaze me the number of people that do not calibrate their monitor and then wonder why they are not getting a true representation of what they are seeing.

This looks like another potential addition to the Resources page. I have a gadget that's supposed to calibrate the monitor and I use it from time to time. It seems to make a small difference for colour, but not for monochrome. My own B+W prints come out much as I expect. Perhaps I should look harder?

This looks like another potential addition to the Resources page. I have a gadget that's supposed to calibrate the monitor and I use it from time to time. It seems to make a small difference for colour, but not for monochrome. My own B+W prints come out much as I expect. Perhaps I should look harder?

I find it depends which Color space you work in. For black and white, I always edit in Gray Gamma 2.2
I created a digital Zone scale which I use during editing which is calibrated to the paper I use and also mimics closely the Analog Zone Scale.

Digital-Zones-.jpg

Back