Lens repair/servicing

Damnfinecoffee

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a UK shop/individual for lens repairs.

I have a Schneider 135mm in a Synchro-Compur P shutter and my slower speeds are sticking.

I am located near Hull but happy to ship.

Thanks in advance

I use Black on White in Bristol. They've serviced my Rolleifle 3,5E (Compur shutter), Yashicamat 124 and my 165,, f8 Super Angulon (Compur shutter).

There's a tip for stopping the slow speeds sticking, takes less than a minute, I'll PM you.

Ian

My 135mm Ektar on a Crown Graphic 4x5 had the usual sticky slow speed syndrome, but this is not a greatly difficult matter to rectify. It's usually caused not by tired springs, but by a build-up of gunge over the years. The Ektar is easy to work on: the front cell unscrews easily enough, providing access to the diaphragm and shutter blades. Making sure the rear element is thoroughly well protected, carefully spray or dab on with a cotton bud Servisol or Electrolube cleaner. By repeatedly working the aperture diaphragm and the shutter, this will steadily work away the crap. Using tiny amounts, it took me a full afternoon of dabbing on and dabbing dry before I had nice clean blades. And at the end, EVERY speed functioning from1/400th to 1 sec. The individual who bought this off me on fleabay very cheap got a bonus deal! Ne'er mind, as I while I found the Ektar quite a nice smooth lens, it was a tad too wide, and I've replaced it with a 150mm objective.

Jeremy, I have a sticking shutter on one of my lenses, and would like to follow your suggestion for cleaning it. But having searched for the products you mention, it seems that Servisol and Electrolube are actually manufacturers, and both produce a wide range of cleaning products. So, I wonder, which one are you using?

Alan

Alan, use Iso Propyl Alcohol that's what I've used for years to clean sticky shutters.

Ian

Servisol and Electrolube are standard industry products based on IsoPropanol. You should be able to get a can of Electrolube SWC or Servisol 10 in Maplins. eSpares is an on-line and reliable source. AVOID AMAZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you do Alan, DON'T let it contact or get anywhere near optical surfaces. IP is also highly injurious to plastics! One technique you can try is to use an artist's air blower with the end in a small cap filled with IP, and manually blow it into the edges of the shutter. Make sure you don't suck!!

Servisol and Electrolube are standard industry products based on IsoPropanol. You should be able to get a can of Electrolube SWC or Servisol 10 in Maplins. eSpares is an on-line and reliable source. AVOID AMAZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading todays news, you'd better be quick if buying from Maplins :-(

I hope they manage to save the company......it's very useful!

Mike

Back