Just before our second winter snowfall

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by KenS, Nov 7, 2018.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    reflections.jpg

While taking the dog for his on his pre mealtime walk around the park (a two minute walk from our house) I came across this ‘view’ with the reflections of the trees and decide it would be worthwhile recording it to film before the ‘promised’ overnight snowfall. I believe I made the right decision to get my Lihof and tripod on my return home… the Exposure was onto Ilford HP5 behind the 150mm lens 125th @ F11., and Developed as Normal with Pyrocat HD In BTZS tubes

I believe I made the right decision, since our overnight snowfall has provided a layer of ‘slush at the water’s edge below the rock ‘retaining wall’ which has since‘ destroyed’ the fine detail reflections of the branches on the water’s surface

PS That 'floating thing' in the pond is one of the two turned-off and 'winterized' spray fountains that assist in the summer oxygenation of the water for the survival of the fish population put in by the Fish and Wildlife Department of Provincial Government.

Ken

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Bill Martindale likes this.
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    My dog had three walks to view this :D

I think you can make a far better balance print by cutting the contrast and exposure slightly.

Ian

3. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    With all due respect (after 'playing around') with the original TIFF file, further 'minor changes to 'brightness/contrast' tends to 'lose' the barely discernible 'variable' density of the 'clouds' in the top left.

BTW.. that 'thing' floating on the surface, is the "turned off and now "winterized spray fountain" is used to oxygenize the pond water for the fish population 'added' by the Parks Department. The Fire Deparment should be arriving any day now to 'remove' the fountain before the pond REALLY freezes over... and the kids get to play their 'pick-up' ice hockey games
    I'll try and get a photograph of the "fun and games' after it is deemed "safe" after the Fire Department's 'drilling' of a few holes to prove the ice is thick enough.

Ken

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Who could resist taking it? Perhaps the problems with the sky have overwhelmed the print as a whole. Like Ian, I tend to think the mid-tones have emerged a little bit dark.
    On my screen, some more shadow detail would be welcome, but I think we've seen that this might be a common problem with viewing images on screen instead of in real life. Obviously, you'd like to preserve the silhouettes of the bare trees. A tricky balancing act.

5. Alan Clark

Alan Clark Member Registered User

It's a pity about screen problems. On my screen the image looks too dark, with no detail in the shadows.

Alan

6. David M

As we all, almost certainly, need to generate a new file for posting, is there a general-purpose curve that could be applied for better screen viewing? It would necessarily be an approximation, because all screens differ. I'm guessing that the deep shadow part would be steepened and the rest remain as a more-or-less straight line, but I'm not an expert.

7. Alan Clark

Alan Clark Member Registered User

Mmmmm. James's Pool on Snesmore Common (in another thread) looks to have just the right brightness contrast and shadow detail, on my screen.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Not saying this is the best way to print the image but would give a different feel.

upload_2018-11-8_15-11-24.png

I was thinking the same when I did the quick edit above.

Here's a comparison:

upload_2018-11-8_15-16-52.png

Ian

Bill Martindale likes this.
  9. David M

Yes, that's the kind to thing I would have suggested. Detail in the sky preserved and more information in the reflections. Silhouetted trees still dramatic.