Just a box

joe monteiro

Not sure if this fits with the forum but here goes.

For a while i've thought about an enlarger for the 8 X 10 but the cost has put me off. There was a process camera frame that was promising but it disappeared. One day when picking up our grandson at day care i noticed a pile of empty boxes from some new office furniture that had been delivered and there was one that got my attention.

A camera has been said to be just a box with film on one end and a lens on the other and so by extension an enlarger is a box with a lens on one end the film in the middle and a light at the other end. Oh yes and a diffusion screen which started as a layer of white plastic from a thin, cheap (er inexpensive) trash bag . One layer allowed print through of the leds and i ended up with three spaced layers. The dual variable intensity light source (sounds impressive doesn't it) is made from two led desk lamps eighteen leds in each.

BTW the negative is taped to the carrier so flatness is pretty good. In practice there is a piece of thin opaque card placed abutting the negative carrier to kill the light leak.

The lens shown here is the 90mm from the 4 X 5 but i've just purchased a Schneider Componon 240mm which will cover the larger format.

So far just a couple of test strips and a 8 X 10 test print but later today i will find a place for the 16 X 20 trays and go for it.

This isn't likely to be the end of my quest especially as focusing by sliding the lens back and forth leaves a lot to be desired but it's been fun.

1551509657500.jpeg1551509657500.jpeg1551509508482.jpeg

David M

Best enlarger ever. I'm sure you'll find an equally wonderful system for fine focus. Well done.

Diz

What a beut! I do enjoy other folks ingenuity in solving photographic problems.
Cheers
Diz