IR Goggles

Alan9940

Very Active Poster
Just posted this over on the LFPF, but I thought some of you might be interested, too...

Over the years, I've seen various posts on this and other forums talking about the use of an IR google in the darkroom; specifically, the ATN Viper unit. Tried one...didn't like it...returned it.

Recently, I became aware of the Laserware folks over in the UK and their range of Nightfox IR googles. Specifically, I started looking into the Nightfox 120R, but was concerned about the 3x magnification and I didn't need video recording. After several e-mails relating my concerns, I was told that they were introducing the Nightfox 119V which is the same as the 120R, except 1x magnification and no video. I was intrigued by this news and waited two months for the unit to show up on Amazon. It arrived today!

I've played with it in the darkroom for only about 30 mins, doing various tasks that I normally do in the dark, but so far I'm really impressed. If anyone is looking to try out IR googles in the darkroom, I'd highly recommend taking a look at the Nightfox 119V.

Interesting, I know Ken Lee always talks about using them. Are you using them for tray development Alan

Hi Ian,

First, the denizens over on LFPF quickly pointed out that I can't seem to spell goggles. ;) Whatever...

No, I haven't done tray development for about 30 years. I plan to use the goggles for: 1) loading film into sheet film holders or small format film on to reels, 2) loading 5x4 film into my new B's reel, 3) processing film using tanks & hangers, and 4) ? Well, anything else I can think of where they might come in handy. Time will tell the tale, for sure.

Hi Alan,

1) loading film into sheet film holders or small format film on to reels (good idea, like this)

Keep us posted

For those that may be interested...

I can now confirm, via densitometer, that there is absolutely no fogging with the Nightfox 119V and Fomapan 100 film. Postulating here, it's probably safe to assume that the 119V would not fog any normal panchromatic film stock. Any film with extended red sensitivity may be an issue and, of course, IR film is out of the question.

Back