Increasing Negative Contrast

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Ian-Barber, Jun 30, 2017.

1. David M

David M Active Member

I've heard of people carrying a grey card around but this is much more refined. I like the reference to "gut instinct" changes too. It's easy to be the unquestioning slave of the meter.

2. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    65+ years ago... my mentor used to 'yank my chain' when getting ready to make a photograph. The 8x10 camera would be set up... the dark-cloth placed over the rear standard... lens adjusted for focus... set the required 'swing and/or tilt would be set... t

Then... out of my area of vision while I got to 'check' the GG once more... with a small folding loup.. ready to agree that everything was 'good to go'... he would take a 'sneaky' light meter reading... quickly and quietly return the meter to his jacket pocket... fuss about looking around a little... checking the 'cloud cover' and light 'intensity and direction'... he'd 'hum and haw' a little... then stick his finger in his mouth then 'hold it' pointing upwards and then deliberately state "out loud" that the correct exposure was going to be.. set the iris and shutter speed to that which he had already read off the light meter.

Dammit!!!!!... It only took me a couple of years to 'catch him out'.... and that was 'by mistake'.

Ken

3. David M

David M Active Member

A cruel trick, like sending a new apprentice to the stores for a Long Stand. I do hope you've kept up this noble tradition.