How do you develop your film?

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Stephen Batey, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

Ken, I don't really use stop bath...haven't for years...just an old feeble guy who has been doing this stuff for a very long time and simply always refers to the second step as 'stop.' ;)

I really like your idea of submerging the tubes back into the water bath tray/tank/container following development. I plan to try that with my next run. If I can figure out how to fill the extra caps with fix while maintaining the rolling of the tubes, I may try your technique for final fix, too. Great ideas!! (Hmm...just thinking...what's the wife doing?) :)

2. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    Well... She's up and down from the other end of the dining room table.. to the sewing machine and back... pins flying everywhere... Scissors going like a 'unowat' as she tries to get a Hallow'een 'costume' to a finished stage in order to to send to our grandson for "THE" night.... and I'm doing my best to 'keep out of the way' as much as possible... and my mouth shut.... maybe I should have headed down to the darkroom to do some 'cleaning-up' before she asks me to 'model' it for her. :cool:

When it comes to the 'fixer caps'... I usually always load them 'before' I even 'load' the developer caps and place them behind the water-bath... I thus 'know' where to put my hands on them when they are when 'needed' (I learned that from 'screwing up'... just the one time... and it was the one time too many when I (stupidly) switched on a light to see where I had placed them. Fortunately, there was no 'obvious damage' to any of the negatives since the 'exposure time' was probably too short .... and the cap-less tubes were already in the water where the developer 'dilution factor' would have been extremely high.

There is a 'saying' (or there was, if I can remember my very early years), "once bitten, twice shy".

Ken

3. Richard Warom

Richard Warom Member

Retired
    Thanks also for the tip with the stop and fix Ken up to now i've put a litre of fix in a tray and water for stop in the spare caps, your process seems much more efficient and sensible. I have to say its taken me a little while to get used to the tube process but i've stuck with it and am now finding it a good simple way of developing sheet film and now your tip will make it even more simple. For the wash I set by my mod 54 and tank so when fix is finished with the light on I set the sheets in the mod and wash using the Ilford method of 5,10 & 20 at developer temp.
    Richard

4. Monsta

Monsta New Member

i also use the patterson orbital without the base, a couple of slight lifts on either end every minute and all is fine agitation wise. i did remove the fins from the underside of the lid and stuck a couple of theose rubber dot things in the base to save sticking the neg to the bottom. you can do 4 x5x4 or x2 5x7 in there with ease

5. Pete Oakley

Pete Oakley New Member

I use D-76H in a Patterson Orbital 1-1, 300mls on a motor base............brilliant!