Hello from Manchester

Neil t3

Popular Poster
Hello , I'm new to the forum starting to use large format about a year ago .
I started off with 35mm in the late 80's with a panoramic camera that was free with six or so tokens off a Kellogs Frosties packet or maybe Cornflakes !
Saved up my wages in the mid to late 90's and bought an old Minolta 7000AF SLR and a few lenses before going digital in 2007 with a Sony a100 , because they bought the Minolta film side , they used the Minolta A mount lenses so I could continue using them .
Still using 35mm , but as prices of film gear came down , I've got a lot of it !
About the same time I also got some medium format gear starting with a YashicaMat 124G , some Kodak folders then a Kiev 88 kit . Still all used .
Most recent is a Bronica ETRSi outfit and Mamiya TLR's , which are my main 120 cameras .
I started with large Format last spring really . I had planned on getting into it a few years ago and kept my eye open for lenses and other bit's and pieces as they came up .
I got my first 5x4 camera , a Graflex Crown Graphic , made some lens boards , and got sarted a year ago .
Next came a DeVere 7x5 monorail , then a DeVere 5x4 monorail and my latest is a FKD 13x18 Tailboard camera that I am just making a new lens board and mount system for so all camera can share the same lenses .
I'll be taking my first shots with that when I go on holiday at the end of the month .

I'm in the process of building a darkroom ( slow progress ) and hope to be up and running soon .
Originally I bought a 35mm B&W enlarger for next to nowt fron Jessops when the were clearing out there stores about 10 years ago , bought a DeVere 54 enlarger ( which will also do 7x5 ) and people have given me loads of other gear when they found out what I was doing LPL 7700 , Jobo processers , tanks , washers , paper , etc .

I'm an outdoor type of person and I travel around a lot in my old 1985 VW Transporter camper van , so most of my photography is landscaped based .

You can see my Flickr website here ; https://www.flickr.com/photos/neilt3/albums

Welcome.

I didn't think De Vere ever made a 7x5 monorail, Half plate yes which uses DDS film/plate holders with the same outside dimensions as 7x5 DDS. They also made a Whole plate monorail camera, I bought one in 1977 with additional Half plate and 5x4 backs.

Ian

Hi Neil,

Great to know a LF user in Manchester, I have a project I hope to start this Summer and a bit of a hand would be ace (if you're interested!).

Will PM.

Robert

Welcome.

I didn't think De Vere ever made a 7x5 monorail, Half plate yes which uses DDS film/plate holders with the same outside dimensions as 7x5 DDS. They also made a Whole plate monorail camera, I bought one in 1977 with additional Half plate and 5x4 backs.

Ian

You could well be right .
I bought it off ebay cheap , and a bit rough , discribed as a 7x5 monorail .
It looks to have been made about the same time as the DeVere 54 enlarger I have , which was discontinued and replaced by the DeVere 504 in the early 60's .

The back had had the original film / plate / ground glass screen removed and a very poor D.I.Y 5x4 holder fitted onto the original back .
The original fittings have been removed / cut off , and not supplied .
The 7x5 DDS film holders I have are a good fit , and I have made my own ground glass holder , held togeather with bungi cord .
Looks rough , but works as a test unit untill I make a nice smart unit for it .

Hi Neil,

Great to know a LF user in Manchester, I have a project I hope to start this Summer and a bit of a hand would be ace (if you're interested!).

Will PM.

Robert

Thank's Robert , I'll send you a P.M back over the weekend .

Back