Hand held large format

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by robclarke, Mar 31, 2017.

1. robclarke

robclarke Member Registered User

I have been trying out handheld large format photography with my Linhof master technika.

[​IMG]img348 by biotecbob, on Flickr

[​IMG]img347 by biotecbob, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member Registered User

These are smashing Rob, pity about the damage to the emulsion etc but easily fixed. I always wanted one of these cameras but never seem to amass sufficient funds. :(

3. Richard Warom

Richard Warom Member Registered User

Retired
    Very nice Rob.
    Richard

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Nice to see someone else shooting LF haqnd held. I shoot HP5 for hand held work with a Super or Crown Graphic, focus on the GG screen then use the wire finder for final composition/framing.

Ian

5. martin henson

martin henson Admin Staff Member Registered User

Ian using your method, I assume you have to put the film holder in after focusing, then recompose then take the shot, say for a portrait, how do you know you have focus correct as you cannot now see the ground glass with the FH in place, and what sort of shutter speed do you need as minimum for handheld shooting using say the Crown Graphic.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Hi Martin, yes that's how I work hand held however I'm not currently shooting portraits this way. I'm shooting landscapes often where tripods are not permitted, dodging the tourists and having to work fast so a different approach to Rob.

I prefer to shoot at 1/125 @ f22 which is quite feasible with HP5 working in Turkey/Greece, sometimes it's 1/250 if I'm lucky, however 1/60th is OK and I've managed 1/30 @f16. I do have a working range-finder on my Crown Graphic which is calibrated for a 150mm lens so that's an option for checking focus, but not if I've used any front tilts, the wire finder takes tilt into account.

The Super Graphic has a better range-finder which takes inter-changeable cams for each lens, I haven't repaired mine yet mainly because I've not felt the need. It was a £100 camera with issues, parts needed replacing, but has become one of my favourite cameras to use.

What I have found is you need to be able to work fast shooting LF hand held, so between focussing on the GG screen, to cocking the shutter, stopping the lens down, fitting the DDS and removing the slide, final framing and exposure takes about 20 seconds. It becomes instinctive.

I should have added in my first post in this thread those are great images Rob :D

Ian

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017