Ground Glass Brightness

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by Ian-Barber, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I think you mean marginal, one hopes a GG screen and fresnel doesn't brighten your marriage:D

It's the camera back and in particular the Ground glass frame holder that differs when meant for a fresnel screen under the GG (lens side). Incorrect fitting causes a focus shift, if the back was designed for just a GG screen a Fresnel goes on the rear (eye side).

The Kodak screens aren't very bright, I think Keith said you both meet up occasionally ask him if you can try his new spare screen :D It's nice and bright.

Ian

2. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    :) maybe if I had bought a Fresnel and GG, I wouldn't have got divorced 27 years ago :D

3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

Ian,

Unless you're using a fresnel, Maxwell screen, or other third-party brightscreen, the view on a standard groundglass can be quite dim; especially when shooting in dim locations such as a church interior. Some standard screens are better than others...the Kodak screen Ken mentioned, the old Satin Snow glass, Steve Hopf's glass, etc. And, the wider you go with the lens, generally, the dimmer the view. A couple of tricks that might work for you, especially when shooting in locations where the subject matter is relatively close at hand: 1) use a torch to light areas of the scene, if possible, and 2) use a laser-style pointer and place the dot where you expect the sharpest focus and focus the camera on that point of light.

Ian-Barber likes this.
  4. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member Registered User

Ian(B). It's in a camera at the moment but I can easily pop it out if you want to try it. :)