Greetings from west London

Christophe

Hello all
As one of the very few positives of the lockdown this year, I rediscovered the joy of film photography when I dug out my Nikon F3, MPP Microflex TLR and 25 rolls of expired, unexposed film to play with. This resulted in an absorbing voyage of education and rediscovery, picking up where I left off in 2005, developing film at home. Sadly, still not possible to have a darkroom (and the last time I was in one was in 1989 at school), but step by step.
I recently acquired an MPP Micro Technical MkVI mod'd to a MkVII in very nice condition, together with everything I might need to get me going, including a Combi-HP developing tank. The only thing I still need to find is a changing "room" (the Calumet/Wex ones are sold out) as the changing bag for 5x4 is ... challenging.
Looking forward to learning from the knowledge found in this forum.
Christophe

Welcome Christophe, I take it you've seen the image I posted of the base of an MkVI :D

I've always preferred not to use a changing bag/light tent for loading and unloading 5x4 (or larger) film as I think there's an increased risk of dust, an issue with sheet film, Don't wear a woollen sweater when loading film. Instead when in our apartment in Turkey I load film and tanks in the bathroom, it has no window, I do the same in hotels or on cruise ships (my wife worked on-board one).

The collapsible frame type light tents are probably a lot better than the large cloth changing bag I have.

Ian

Hi Ian
Thank you and indeed, I saw the image, much appreciated!

I agree that the changing bag is a non-starter for 5x4. Apart from the challenge of getting the film in without dust, getting the sheet out and into the holders for the Combi tank is double trouble. Unfortunately, the darkest place in the house is at the top of the stairs to the attic, at night, with carpet... unless I try and put a blackout curtain in the bathroom. This said, it may be the way to go for now, unless I set up our camping tent in the garden which has a dark inner tent for sleeping :p

Christophe

Welcome to the forum, I use a pop tent like changing bag, it is important to keep them clean, but much better than the none tent type, dust is a problem with L/F negatives, they act like a magnet and dust loves too sit there.

Thank you Martin, I will keep searching for an affordable pop tent.

I very much enjoy your videos; indeed, they are what led me here.

With a large bag, it is possible to fit a shoe box arranged as shown here:
box.png
to keep it open. Still a bit cramped for loading into the MOD54 system, but OK for loading DDS and the Stearman tank (and also for MF & 35mm).

I made a frame for my changing bag by simply using small PVC plastic plumbing pipe and fittings. I did not glue them together, but merely dry fit them into place when I want to use the frame. When finished, it comes right apart for convenient storage.

I have a pop-up tent that I bought from Calumet, which seems to be the same as the Wex model ( "...awaiting stock"). It's given no greater problems with dust than loading in the darkroom. You need to keep it clean and you really do need to organise yourself carefully for working invisibly inside. In particular, it's very tricky to do unloading and reloading in one session, because it's so easy to lose track. A once-in-a-lifetime experiment for me.
I once made a frame to fit inside a conventional bag but it seemed very awkward and I've lost it.
There is also the Harrison, which I have not used.
A waterproof darkroom apron (very cheap, about £12) will help keep the stray hairs from you woolly sweater or your outdoorsman check shirt off the film.

Later:
I found this, but I know no more about it. Import will make it more expensive.

Last edited:
The way the Chinese describe items often gets around import duties, and they'll under declare the value.

Ian

Thank you all, some great suggestions to get me going, although it sounds like the Calumet type tent is the most affordable mid-term option. Import duties would be around £15-£18 and an additional £8 "handling fee" :rolleyes:.

Back