Great bargain lens

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by Ian Grant, May 8, 2018.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Just received a mint condition 1954 Schneider 120mm f6.8 Angulon in a Prontor #1 shutter, it covers 7x5 with a little room for movements, the coatings are really nice and being 6 elements in two groups it has good contrast. The shutter's accurate.

[​IMG]

It's that step between a 150mm and a 90mm and a lot cheaper than the 110mm Super Symmar so excellent as a normal wide angle for 7x5 and moderate wide angle on 5x4. It's quite small and light as less than £100 from Romania.

Ian

2. YorkshireBloke

YorkshireBloke Member Registered User

Hi Ian,

I guess a few decades of experience helps aquire high quality at low price... :rolleyes:

Great buy, well done!

Robert

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    It's more about how you read Ebay sellers listings and I guess knowing true worth. It's like the £30 Gandolfi half plate camera, a £50 12"x10" camera, a £30 120mm Dagor, watch wait be careful..

I guess a well it's experience or rather knowledge gleaned over the years. I found this lens by chance after replying to a woman on another forum looking for a lens somewhere between 150mm and a 90mm, she was thinking of 110mm which really means an f5.6 Super Symmar XL whis is expensive over-kill on a 5x4 camera, it nearly covers 10x8. Second hand these tend to sell close to £1,000, last US list price was $2,640. The 120mm Angulons can be found typically in the £100-£160 price range so a lot cheaper and still plenty of coverage..

Ian

Last edited: May 11, 2018