Good and Bad LF S/H Ebay sellers.

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by Ian Grant, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    There needs to be some feedback about the good/bad Ebay sellers who dominate the LF categories of Ebay.co.uk. To be fair the reasons should be given. I'm not talking about the small sellers.

On the "Bad" side and probably the worst is Cliffpr who constantly sells LF equipment particularly lenses at 2x and more the prices of reputable UK dealers who offer a warranty.

MwClassic are usually good prices on Ebayv, Simon Chesterman - Collectable Cameras is always fair prices - both mostly sell through their own websites, but do sell on Ebay. Companies like Peter Walnes are good, Ffordes went a bit expensive after relocating to the Highlands.

The US LF market is more even there's a need to lrealise the true level of the UK market.

Ian

2. martin henson

martin henson Admin Staff Member Registered User

I can honestly say that apart from one camera I have bought on eBay everyone has had some fault in one way or another and not as described, in some cases even after asking the seller before buying questions to confirm this or that, its either my back luck as all had 100% feedback or its the nature of the place. There are none that I would or could recommend who sell cameras and lens I can think of on eBay.
    The best buys surprisingly I have had has been on Gumtree, its a little risky but if they will accept Paypal then you're covered to some extent.

3. YorkshireBloke

YorkshireBloke Member Registered User

Hi,

Good idea, EBay is ubiquitous, honest feedback seems not to work like in the Old Days (last century!).

Just one point: let's not libel anyone... Yes, I am paranoid but the site and the poster is on record, just state facts on what happened to you, never "false and malicious"...

Robert

4. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Robert, you're right any comments about individual sellers need to be based on facts.

The case I mentioned the seller currently has two 90m f6.8 Angulon lenses for BIN prices of £211.49 that's with a 10% discount plus £7 postage, another seller has the same lens BIN £99 inc free postage, all are in the last upgraded version of the Synchro Comur and in good condition. £90 is a typical price for this lens, maybe a touch more for the later ones in the newer shutter that's whether on Ebay or from a reputable dealer who may also have an online presence through their own store. The sellers non LF prices aren't bad it's just the LF items that are very overpriced.

Martin, it's very difficult these days to get poor feedback if you're a seller the system is stacked in their favour. Yes some sellers get banned Rocky Cameras for instance, Global matters (a US seller - mainly fresnel screens) is another but a quick Google search will show a vast number of complaints about them.

I've had a few bad ebay experiences, I bought two Speed Graphics from the US the seller stated there were enough parts to rebuild one complete camera, turned out they were different versions a pre-Anniversary and a Pacemaker and no parts where interchangeable, however for $70 it wasn't worth complaining. I managed to rebuild one anyway and got the parts I needed for rebuilding the second.

Here in the UK it's more about sharing who the good online sellers are as the market changes. Years ago it was Robert White who had the one of the best reputation for LF equipment and particularly second hand items, but the company has changed direction (it is a pro dealer after all). Warners in Wolverhampton were another, good for new and s/g LF equipment & lenses they closed after one partner wanted to retire.

So suggestions as to good reliable dealers whether bricks and mortar shops or online store would be useful as the number is dwindling.

Ian

5. alexmuir

alexmuir Member Registered User

I’ve had good dealings with Peter Walnes on eBay. I think he is Arri888, or similar. I’m sure I’ve bought from cliffpr as well, without issue. Optimistic pricing occurs quite often on eBay. It pays to do a bit of research if you’re after a particular thing. I’m currently looking for a zoom converter for a Nikkorex 8F cine camera. The only one around is with a German shop who want £50. I made an offer of around half that, but it was rejected. I’m pleased to see it’s still available months later. I agree about taking care when discussing named sellers. It does help, however, to be aware of dealers who have fallen short of expectations.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    It's also a case of dishonesty with at least 3 sellers.

I shoot with Crown & Speed Pacemaker Graphics as well as my Super Graphic, brand new lens boards are available 3 for £25 yet at least 3 UK sellers are listing old poor condition boards for around the £50 mark. One is claiming an MPP MicroTechnical lens board will fit a MicroPress (which actually takes Pacemaker Graphic lens board).

You're right Alex, ari888 is the administrator for the Peter Walnes ebay store. Their s/h Scheider lens prices are good if I had spare cash I'd buy the 58mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL £400 is a real bargain :D

Ian

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  7. YorkshireBloke

YorkshireBloke Member Registered User

Hi,

Main thing is knowledge so a forum where a "community of practice" is established is a great antidote to "communities of commerce"...

(Not at I am anti-business, been an employer and businessman for over 30 years: still solvent, never been in Court...).

Robert