Gandolfi 5x4 Dark Slides

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by Ian-Barber, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Do the Gandolfi 5x4 cameras use standard double dark slides such as the Elite brand or do you need special ones.

Also, what is a camera like the one below worth on second hand market if its in reasonable condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    If a Gandolfi has a spring back, like this one, it takes normal International DDS film or plate holders, expect the price to suddenly rocket up, my guess is it's worth over £1,000.

Gandofi's were still made with book-form backs after WWII but you had the option of which type back when you ordered your camera.

I must restore my Gandolfi :D

Ian

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Ian, if you got it for that price it's a bargain :D

£687 . . . . i***r could be someone else of course :D

Ian

4. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I***r could be someone else of course, that was not me :(

I was surprised as I thought it may have touched the £1000 mark

5. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Oh well we all missed a bargain :D

Many people listing/selling on Ebay don't pay any attention to what time of day or even what day of the week their auction will end. Maybe 11:20pm is less than ideal on a Sunday evening, it's the end of the weekend with people going back to work on a Monday morning.

Ian

6. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

If we'd all spotted it and spent Sunday evening watching the bids click up, I suspect it wouldn't be a bargain any more. Although they are a delight to use, Gandolfis might be becoming collectable, like clockwork Leicas and used postage stamps.

7. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Gandolfi's are becoming collectable, who knows if the one listed will be used. I'm not sure they were the best British field and studio camera made, Sir Kenneth Corfield helped introduce newer and far better models but that was after Fred and Arthur had retired. Personally I think Gandolfi only survived so long because the brothers weren't sales or profit orientated as long as they could make a living.

We have to remember that under their father the company was mostly manufacturing for other companies, Sands & Hunter, Watson etc, and only a small proportion were sold under their own name, and also the designs were largely generic in London and had come from Louis time at Lejeune & Perken where he'd worked.

Louis Patented some fittings mostly used on his own cameras but never broke through as a major manufacturer in his own right, they only become well know when everyone else had either closed or switched to smaller formats.

Ian

8. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

The Museum of London organised a talk by Fred, towards the end of his life and I formed much the same opinion as you.
    As far as design goes, there are two features of the Gandolfi that I've not seen elsewhere. The locking knob on most folding cameras is placed on the same spindle as the focus knob. On the Gandolfi, it clamps onto the slotted metal side plate so you don't get that irritating and unwanted locking as you turn both knobs at the same time while focusing.
    The method of erecting the front standard, by unclipping the main uprights works extremely well, too and avoids that scraping of the bellows that some cameras suffer from.
    Despite its limitations, it's a very pleasant camera to use. Mine has a very small lensboard so it's even more limited.

9. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    I must restore my own Gandolfi David, it's a very early model - an un-named camera - but identified by its fittings by a couple of experts, it has a front standard locking system Patented by Louis Gandolfi.

Mine's a Half plate camera, I paid £30 for it with a lens (junk) and tripod (broken), off Ebay. The seller was so happy I bought it, she was selling off her brothers items to pay off a few of the debts he'd run up. Other bidders wanted her to re-list & sell the items separately. I paid online and went to pick up in person, the seller was very honest knew the lens was junk, camera bellows falling apart, she'd have had negative feedback selling separately. It was good outcome, honesty is the best policy.

Ian