Fuji Acros

Discussion in 'Talk About Different Analog Films' started by martin henson, Nov 28, 2016.

1. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

This film in all formats has to be on the top of most film shooters list, used a couple of boxes over the last year and it never disappoints.

I develop it in Kodak Xtol and find its a great combo, rich shadows beautiful controlled highlights and the rest, also the fact that its hardly effected by long exposures makes it arguably one of the best black and white films ever made.

Anyone else use it if so what's your thoughts on this film.

Hope Fuji don't ditch like some of the other great films they have stopped production.

2. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    I used it when it was available in Quickloads. I like the grain structure and the overall performance in Rodinal; I hated the hole in the corner that always intruded into the image area and required cloning out afterwards. I don't know if non-Quickload sheets have this hole? Given I couldn't get it in convenient Quickloads anymore, I stuck with FP4 which has no hole.

I don't find myself stepping into the exposure area where reciprocity failure is an issue, so that's not an issue for me.

3. martin henson

Its strange this hole at the notch side, my last purchase of two boxes the first box there were no holes, the second box had the holes.

4. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura New Member

Your hope was futile. Here's the Google translation of yesterday's announcement, which was only made on Fuji's Japanese Web site:

You'll have about one year to stock up on Acros sheet film. At ISO 100, kept in its sealed original packaging, it should last a long, long time when stored in a freezer. Time to start cleaning out all those unnecessary frozen foods and make space. :)

5. martin henson

Think I will pass on that, if there not going to make it anymore then I will stop using it, plenty more films out there

6. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

I have used quite a lot of Acros 100 roll film which, developed in Pyrocat-HD with minimal agitation, yields a MF negative that comes pretty close to LF quality. I used a fair amount of it back in the Quickload days. I've got a box of 10x8 in the freezer, but busy using other film at the moment.

Lots of confusion surrounding Fuji's recent announcement regarding Acros sheet film, but it's my understanding from a number of sources (one of which got his info from a Fuji insider) that they have ceased production of this film in 5x4 and 10x8 formats, and that they expect the current worldwide supply to last until sometime in 2018. Yeah, well...does anyone remember how fast Fuji 3000B pack film sold out? How 'bout Polaroid Type 55? Honestly, I doubt the supply of Acros sheet film will hold out for a year.

7. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    I just had a quick look at the usual suspects for film. I could only find Firstcall selling it, at £80 for 20 sheets. Considerably more than all the rest; about twice the price in fact. I think I might have one sheet left in a Quickload; I won't be using it again after that's gone.