FS: Nikkor W 210mm F/5.6

Jonathan Woods

Hi All,

I have a really nice copy of a Nikkor W 210mm F/5.6 lens for sale. I bought it second hand about 6-7 years ago and it's never missed a beat. The lens comes in a copal 1 shutter and linhof style, offset hole lens board and cosmetically is in excellent condition. There are one or two very small impressions on the body of the lens but the paint surface is unbroken, and one really does have to look for them. The glass is clean, clear, free of fungus or haze, and has no scratches. The shutter is sharp, fires perfectly every time and has no mechanical issues. Aside from the dust in the photos, it's in exceptional condition - I've toyed with just keeping it, and I wouldn't be selling it if I didn't need the funds! I've performed a light gate characterisation of the timings, which I'll provide with it. Please note, the marks on the lens in the photos are just dust which I forgot to clean off before taking the photos. I've cleaned it just prior to posting this, and not only has all the dust been removed, but I have reconfirmed that there is no damage to the glass.

I'm afraid when I bought it, it did not come with a box, but it does come with both original lens caps. For sale elsewhere as well as here.

Looking for £250 including delivery.

Any questions, please ask!

Attachments

Ian Grant

I have a 240mm f5.6 Nikkor W and they are superb lenses, that's a good price as well.

Ian

David M

Ian,
It was the 210 that interested me. As you'll know the 240 is a much bigger lens and in Copal 3.

Ian Grant

Ian,
It was the 210 that interested me. As you'll know the 240 is a much bigger lens and in Copal 3.

I meant the Nikkor W lenses are superb, actually a 210mm FL is more practical/useful than a 240mm.

Ian

David M

Ian,
I'm waiting for Jonathan to reply. I'd like to buy it.
Meanwhile, can I ask if you know the origin of the appended letters for Nikkor LF lenses?
I believe that the letters that used to be appended to 35mm lenses stood for the number of elements in Latin, which seems remarkable for a Japanese company, but the LF lenses don't seem to follow this rule.
"-T" is the only one that seems to make sense, and I might be wrong about that.

Ian Grant

W stands for Wide field, this would differentiate from the earlier Tessar type lenses that were once common. So my 240mm f5.6 Nikkor W covers 10x8. SW is Super Wide the traditional wide angle lenses. Kodak introduced the term with their WideField Ektars in the late 1940's/early 50's.

The 210mm Nikkor W, or a Symmar S would be a standard lens on a 7x5/Half plate camera still offering plenty of room for movements, at f22 the image circle is 295mm. About 70º @ f22 compared to a Tessar/Xenar's 62º.

Ian

Jonathan Woods

Hi,

Many apologies for the delay. Yes, the lens is still available, and thanks to Ian for the explanation of the letters on the lens :)

I'll drop you a PM shortly.

David M

The lens has arrived, in the best packed parcel I've ever seen. Seems to be in perfect condition. Much too hot to venture out under a darkcloth today (forecast 38°C), but when it's cooler... Thank you.

Ian Grant

The difference a few miles makes, 26°C max forecast here in the West Midlands :D

You'll enjoy the 210mm FL, I have to admit I don't use mine enough but when I do it's worth it.

Ian