Forum questions

Discussion in 'Discussion About The Forum' started by Stephen Batey, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    I can't see a section dedicated to discussion about the forum, which is why I'm posting here.

1. Is it possible to get a list of new posts since the last visit? The current number of lastest posts that I can see is OK at the moment, but I can see things dropping off quickly. I know that it's possible to scan each section of interest, but I've got used to the "New posts" facility on other forums.

2. Resources. Just as a matter of interest, is it intended that the discussion tab doesn't actually allow discussion - I don't have the necessary status to post there, so I suppose it's admin only.

2. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 15.35.52.jpg

Does the New Posts option at the bottom do what you want ?

Stephen Batey likes this.
  3. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
  4. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Even as Admin, I dont appear to have the right permissions. I will look into this and report back

5. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    Oops! Missed that. It does appear to show only the most recent posts that I haven't read.

(Retires blushing :oops:)

6. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    After trawling through the database, I came across an un-indexed entry. The entry has now been re-indexed and all cache files rebuilt.

The discussion options should now be working, please can you confirm.

7. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    I don't want to make a dummy reply (unless you'd like to to, and can delete it afterwards) but the box is there for me to make a comment.

8. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Thats a good sign then I guess :)

9. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    I assume that you can delete posts? If so, I'll make a comment. And feel free to delete this post.

Edit to add: Comment made; and I see I can delete my post. Is there a time limit on edits/deletes?

10. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Not as far as I am aware

11. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    Opinions seem to be divided on whether it's a good idea. On favour of a time limit - it stops people rewriting history by toning down/removing their posts. As far as I remember, the PhotoAnswers forum (R.I.P. - killed last week) didn't have a time limit. In the original incarnation, thread starters could even remove their own first post in the thread, with the effect of deleting the whole thread. I tend to edit my posts when I spot a typo - I hate typos!

12. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    I will investigate to see if a time limit option is available. What happened to the PhotoAnswers Forum ?

13. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    Bauer removed it. Ostensibly, the days of forums are over, because people prefer social media. I suspect it was simply that they didn't have the resources to control spam; it's been a long time since they took any active part in the forum. They used to run an annual "PhotoSchool" tied in to the forum, but the last two were Facebook-only. The software wasn't good - they used a bespoke package to tie in to their systems (so I was told) and it never had the all the bugs removed. It was also (presumably following some server migration) the slowest forum (or web site) that I ever used.

The "notification" that the forum was going - posts, personal messages and galleries all - was simply finding on going to the site that you were redirected to a new page saying it had gone, and you could still interact with the magazine via Facebook and Twitter. I'd been involved with the site for years - before this forum software was written - and was a mod for many years, so I still got some inside info from Ben Hawkins (editor of Practical Photography) and knew what was about to happen.

14. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    I was never a member of that forum to be honest and your comment about "forums are over" is interesting. I agree social media appears to have taken over, I am on Facebook, G+ but to be honest I don't participate that much on either of them. Twitter is another I have an account with but understanding # tags just seem to get me more confused.

15. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    Not my comment, I hasten to add; it was a comment from the PhotoAnswers people. I don't use Facebook, and find that the intrusive "sign in or sign up" meaage puts me off anyway; but it seems totally unstructured and not at all the place for muliple serious discussions. Probably a view based on ignorance, though.

16. Ian-Barber

Home Page:

Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes): = 60

17. Dave_P

Dave_P New Member

Home Page:
    Problem with social media is it all seems a bit transient, still think forums (fora?) have a place for meaty discussion. Also they are easier to search through for old content via google - the US based LF forum for example is a goldmine with over 15-yrs worth of content. Try searching Facebook for anything you did older than a year and it's a nightmare! Social media is for "today's news, tomorrow fish&chip wrapper" type stuff.

18. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    Ah, but...

Modern photography is digital. Full stop. Modern photography is about equipment (how many megapixels, how good is high ISO performance, how quick is autofocus, how many frames per second etc. etc.). Modern photography is emphatically not about the end result, and never in a million years is it about permanent prints. How can it be, when sites like Flickr favour short term impact over long term pleasure by their layout?

Modern photographic equipment is just as short term. Last year's model has already been replaced (twice :D) and equipment is all that modern photographers want to talk about. On TalkPhotography, nothing is guaranteed to stir things up with vocally expressed contempt for anything non-technical than use of the dreaded A-word (Art). On PhotographyCafe there's been a post in the last couple of days from someone complaining about harsh criticism and suggesting that they won't pick up a camera again because a couple of people pointed out that a photograph was out of focus. Since it was a photograph of a squirrel rather than a subject where out of focus might be required, the comment was accurate, but clearly not wanted.

Modern photographers seek peer approval in the form of votes and awards - it's a competitive sport, almost clamouring to be admitted to the Olympics...

There is no need to trawl the old archives, because there is nothing of value, nothing relevant to today's concerns, to be found there. Of possible interest to photographic historians, but not to real world (digital) photographers.

Rant over.

19. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    I had never heard or read anything anywhere 'online' with any reference to the "Photography-Cafe", so I decided to 'have a peek'... but on seeing the 'front page' reference to "competition", I 'backed out'...immediatedly, without any further 'investigation'.

I do not and probably never will, make any attempt to 'compete' with any one or for anything that relates to either the art... or the craft... of photography.... It seems that the 'Camera and/or Photography' Clubs (in the 'smaller' towns where I have resided over the past 50 years) tend to.. or at least seem to exist... more for "competition" rather than being an "information/help resource"....

The overbearing "My camera is bigger/ is better/ was more expensive/ has a better lens" etc. was the 'real reason' I rarely, if ever, returned for a second visit.

Ken

20. Stephen Batey

None (retired)
    It's (Photography Cafe) rather more extreme than that, Ken. A site that majors on promoting weekly/monthly competitions is one thing, but PC take it to the next level. They have a gallery (nothing unusual in that) but have daily voting/star rating of photos posted there, with a daily winner. Hence, any photo posted is a competition entry! It's also requested that you leave comments (you know, "lovely capture", "well seen", "great use of ....") but only if you do it quickly, because there's no mechanism to inform people that anyone has left a comment, and it seems that in practice after a couple of days the photo is old hat and no-one looks for any comments made after the attention span has expired.

If you look at the activity, it's all related to the gallery/competition. At least, all the photographic activity is. Take that away and the only threads that gets attention are the word game ones. I tried injecting some life (as I saw it) by way of photographic discussion, but hardly anyone wanted to play :(. I've been monitoring the site every day or so to see if anything has changed, but it hasn't.