Forum Host/Server Move

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Why The Move
The forum was hosted on a legacy hosting platform which is due to be made redundant. Due to the fact that the forum software was quite old, it would not have worked on the new mysql system. The cost to leave it on the legacy platform in terms of no security updates and £ notes was to high so I made the decision to move it to another hosting provider and take advantage of a slightly better monthly plan.

Data Loss
Unfortunately, there has been some small data loss as the database was migrating over. The work to try and re-sync this date between two different mysql systems is quite labour intensive so in-view of the small amount, I have not bothered and will just pick-up from where we left off. If you find you have made a post and it's not showing, then please accept my apology and re-post it if you feel it was important.

Forum Software
The forum software and database has been upgraded to the latest version including all the latest security updates.
The lasted theme has been installed and the majority of the styling has been done.

SSL/HTTPS
A SSL certificate has been installed which means the forum can be accessed securely using https://www.5x4.co.uk
If you have any bookmarks set to www.5x4.co.uk they can be changed to https://www.5x4.co.uk and use the SSL connection.

Image Upload Sizes
To try and reduce the size of the database, I have set upload image sizes to the following.
  • Longest Side: 1100 pixels
  • Shortest Side: 1000 pixels
  • Maximum Size 1MB
Forum Donations
Unlike many forums, we do not have any sponsors. All costs are from within so should you wish to make a donation to the running costs, you may do so by clicking the following link. https://paypal.me/IanBarberPhotography

Regards

Admin

Last edited:

mpirie

A big thankyou from me (and i'm sure the rest of the community) to you Ian for all your hard work and commitment.

Mike

Stephen Batey

Yes indeed, well done. And replies are now visible while you type them :p.

One thing I found puzzling over the last couple of days - I could access the forum normally from this computer using my normal browser (Firefox). But trying on my tablet or on this computer using Opera or Chrome gave a "forum migration in progress try later" message. This still seems rather strange behaviour. (Chrome works OK now - just broke off typing to check.)

Ian Grant

Seems quite a few recent posts have been lost. I think all after Tuesday evening.

Ian

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Yes indeed, well done. And replies are now visible while you type them :p.

One thing I found puzzling over the last couple of days - I could access the forum normally from this computer using my normal browser (Firefox). But trying on my tablet or on this computer using Opera or Chrome gave a "forum migration in progress try later" message. This still seems rather strange behaviour. (Chrome works OK now - just broke off typing to check.)
This may have been a browser cache issue

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Seems quite a few recent posts have been lost. I think all after Tuesday evening.

Ian
Yes Ian,
Tuesday evening seemed to be when the migration started. I set a CRON job to put the forum into read only mode but it appears the Cron never ran for some reason :(

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I can't afford to do that. It would clear too much from other sites as well on all devices
Browser cache should not affect passwords or user names. Other than that, the only other choice would be to add the server IP address to your host file.

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Having thought about it... This forum is now on the same server as the other one. The DNS was only updated 24 hours ago so there could be a chance that your ISP has not yet propagated it for the other forum.

Joanna Carter

I have tried several IP lookup sites and they are still resolving to 149.255.58.43. Could you let us have the correct "naked" IP address so we can access the site until the DNS servers catch up?

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I have tried several IP lookup sites and they are still resolving to 149.255.58.43. Could you let us have the correct "naked" IP address so we can access the site until the DNS servers catch up?
149.255.58.43 is the correct IP address.
This forum 5x4.co.uk should also show 149.255.58.43 as its IP address

What operating system are you using and which browser

Joanna Carter

OK. After a bit more research, 149.255.58.43 is the address of your hosting server. I have two domains (one for grandes-images.com and another for carterconsulting.org.uk) and they both resolve to the same address on my hosting server. Unfortunately, that address doesn't give access to either website.

I am using both macOS High Sierra and iOS 12 - Safari on both. I can access 5x4.co.uk fine (otherwise I wouldn't be writing this message ;)) but digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk is still not accessible. I get the following message :

Capture d’écran 2019-02-11 à 11.18.18.png

Safari can't reach the page …
Safari can't find the server…

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Have you tried opening up a Private Window in Safari and trying it ?

Alternatively, you could temporarily test it by amending your host file to test it.

Open terminal

sudo nano /etc/hosts
Add this to the bottom of the host file

149.255.58.43 www.digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk

Press ctrl + o to save then ctrl + x to quit
Then flush DNS dscacheutil -flushcache