First attempts

David Webb

I don't know if this is allowed as it’s not a large format negative, so please let me know if it’s not.
The still life shot was taken with my 6½x4¾ Toyo field camera with a 6×9 medium format back that I've just finished modifying to fit. It was basically taken to test if there were any light leaks on my just completed home-made adaptor plate. I want to be able to take both formats on trips without having to carry two lots of kit with me, and can now just about squeeze everything into my backpack. It's also nice to have the large format camera movements on the smaller film.
Toyo field 6½x4¾
Fujinon 210mm lens
Ilford FP4 Plus (expired 2013)
Developed in Ilfotec DD-X
Scanned on Epson V700
Fuscia.jpg
The self portrait was the very first time I used the camera earlier in the year, and is a contact print from a 5"x7" Kentmere VC Select glossy paper negative. I kept as still as possible because exposure time was 4 seconds, and I had to control the shutter using an air release bulb at the same time.
Portrait001.jpg
Printed on Fomatone MG Variant 112 Matte paper.
Developed in Moersch eco 4812.
I know I look miserable, but I was happy inside:).

I like both of these. Is there a name for the original format of the Toyo camera? I haven't seen these dimensions, but wondered if it was one of the plate sizes.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 3/4 x 6 1/2 is half plate; 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 is whole plate and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 is quarter plate. I've used all these as printing paper sizes. From observation, our local newspaper used to use quarter plate cameras rather than 5x4 years ago - I've seen the negative archives.

What Stephen says is correct: I have a custom made back that will take both 5x7" and 6½x4¾" film holders, as the more modern plastic ones are the same external dimensions. I have to contact print these as my enlarger only holds up to 6x9 medium format.

Thanks for the clarification. I recognise whole and quarter plate, but couldn't have told you the dimensions of half plate.
Alex

Cutters.jpg

A friend had finally finished his many years of education as a veterinary surgeon... and having acquired a position in a Large Animal Veterinary clinic... he requested that I make one 'freebie' photographs that might show a few of the 'Tools of the Trade' that he could hang on his office wall. We went around in 'circles' deciding what items might best describe his avocation... this was 'my' first choice... and the one that seemed to "tickle his fancy" more than the others...

The scalpels were arranged on a sheet of glass. placed on top of some black velvet. We 'played around with composition for a while... this was my 'first choice'. Scalpels were illuminated... from 'behind' and 'above', by the light reflected from a white clay-coated drawing paper that was illuminated from below the level of the table top (shining up to the paper 'reflector' so as to provide for a somewhat 'broader' and 'softer' light source that what could be provided by any direct illumination lamp (in a reflector). Meter reading was from incident reading on Gossen Lunasix3.

Kodak 4x5" Plus-X behind a 240mm Rodenstock Sironar on the Linhof monorail. A small amount of front tilt was applied on the front standard to get full focus of the scalpels .

Film processed as 'normal' in Pyrocat-HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Back