First attempts

Some cameras have moveable front and rear standards. Many field cameras have only front focus. In general photography, it does not matter which one you use, but for close-up work, it's best to use rear focusing, because moving the front standard changes the lens-to-subject distance which then needs re-focussing... Anyone who's done this will remember being trapped in an endless loop.
Mike's comment about long arms rings a bell.

British tail-board & European Reisekameras were typically used mostly as portrait cameras, almost all have a fixed front standard (with rise/fall & shift)and rear focussing with. There were a few US field cameras all based on British style designs, most US LF cameras were a variation of the Briritish Tail-boards and Reisekameras, only top models had front and rear focussing. Some makes used rear focussing others front. However front focussing was for field use and rear focus portraits or close up copying work.

Ian

This is a very interesting thread with lots of good information .
I was bought for Christmas by a friend a new camera , the Chroma 5x4 .
Up until now I've just been using a Graflex Crown and Speed Graphic .
They have very limited movements , so reading this thread has helped a lot to give some extra insight .
Thanks to all .

I shoot with a crown Graphic sometimes and the minimal movements are quite frustrating but I also have a Super Graphic and that has better movements and takes the same lenses boards. It's frustrating when lack of movements means you can't make the image you really want to.

Ian

Up until now I've just been using a Graflex Crown and Speed Graphic .
They have very limited movements ,
Look on the bright side, if you decide to start printing with an Intrepid enlarger, then the limited movements of a press camera should make it easier to line up than a more flexible camera.

Look on the bright side, if you decide to start printing with an Intrepid enlarger, then the limited movements of a press camera should make it easier to line up than a more flexible camera.
The Intrepid enlarger is tempting , though I do already have two 5x4 enlargers .
A very old DeVere 54 and a more modern Ahern (sp ?) . Still not quite finished building my darkroom yet , so no real hurry to decide .

Back