Family Portrait on the C. Burr petzval

Ian Grant

Very nice, I must get around to using my own Petzval I've had it a few years now !!!

How did you trigger the shutter or did you ask someone else ?

Ian

Last edited:

Monsta

It wasn't my family, it was a friends lot so just a cable release. I use the sinar shutter on a really nice light sinar wolf.

Ian Grant

I'd assumed you'd used your SLR :D but then that's 7x5 I think. Interesting how you've used the central sharp area to place the family.

Ian

Monsta

Hiya Ian, the big Graflex SLR is a 5x7. The shutter isn't that great in the cold weather as it sticks a bit so the little Sinar wolf did the trick. Roll on some nice weather so I can get the Graflex out again.

Last edited:

Ian Grant

I've a Postcard format Graflex SLR that came from a photographer in Paris, it's the only Graflex with a self capping shutter - which is a fudge as it isn't really it just has a second curtain to allow re-cocking etc. I'm converting it to take moder 5x4 style film holders but in practice have some modern continental 9x12 holders which are the same outside dimensions and 9x12 film is easy to get hold of.

These old Graflex shutters are fairly easy to service, I've done a a few. I supply shutter curtain material to one of the top US restorers, the shutter curtain in your 7x5 is about 6ft long :D

My choice for lenses like yours is a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic.

Ian

Monsta

Wow, that is good to know that you do the material. May have to do it one day but may need a new spring too and have no idea how I would go about that. It is pretty sluggish in the cold but not too bad in the nicer weather. It is a huge size as I took it apart to clean it all up when I got it, was thinking is this ever going to end.

Ian Grant

Getting a new spring is next to impossible. I tend to flush out the bottom rollers with the spring sometimes there's a touch of rust. Once cleaned I flush out with hot water, followed by Isopropyl Alcohol, then finally lightly oil using a couple of drops of sewing machine oil mixed with alcohol. As it's slow in cold weather it's a lubrication issue.

Ian

Monsta

Will have to take it all apart again and give it a good going over re the lubrication, i never got to the spring when i did it last time so will give it a blast one of these chilly winter nights.