Expat in California

Discussion in 'Say Hello & Introduce Yourself' started by Graham Patterson, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Graham Patterson

Graham Patterson Member

I'm another US resident. I spent most of my life in Surrey and Berkshire with a little time in Suffolk. Why California? My wife is American and she won the toss :cool:. I work with various roll-film formats and 5x4, though I am looking at using 8x10 in the darkroom to make masters for cyanotypes in the near future.

Graham

2. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Graham

Regards
    Martin

3. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hello Graham and welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing some of your art.

4. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    Welcome Graham. I'll be interested in hearing more about your cyanotypes.

5. Graham Patterson

Graham Patterson Member

I am really only playing with cyanotypes at the moment, using commercial paper stock. Somehow I doubt I will have enough time to do my own coating. The results using 5x4 originals seem promising though: http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/cyanotype.html

6. mono

mono Member

Welcome, Graham!
    Cyanotypes are great, I have done some lately.
    Enjoy!

Doug likes this.
  7. KenS

KenS Active Member

Hi Graham...

I too have much more 'fun' working with the archaic print processes than with the silver-gelatin print. Somehow.. but I am not quite sure of the 'why', but I do prefer the 'result' (i.e. the seemingly increased density/contrast that the VDB's provide over an untoned Cyanotype). Having just invested in an Epson scanner and preparing for the uphill 'learning curve' I'm now going to be going through my stock of negatives to 'pick out' those that I feel may 'benefit' from a 'slight' enlargement onto Pictorico film to use for VDBs under my home built UV light source... yes... we do get sunshine up in this neck of the woods (and I have made use of it) but having my own UV light source now allows for printing at ALL hours of the day.. or night. I have not yet 'mastered' the salt print... but believe that I should have the 'guts' to keep at it. Neighbours (and friends) have come to the conclusion that it might just be the time to have me 'committed' (or at least 'tested') since I much prefer 'doing it the old fashioned way' (ie large format cameras with film and home-made print 'emulsions') rather than any attempt of 'keeping up with the latest-and- greatest in the electronic/digital trend)... BUT.... they seem to ''just love that print.. it would look 'just right' on my wall''.. but ALWAYS seem to want one as a 'freebie' rather than offer me even a 'fair' C.O.M. value.

Ken

((I have the plans for the UV light source that I built (we Scots-born hate spending unnecessarily should you want to build one for yourself)).. It provides me with around 25-30 minute exposure times.