Epson R3880 Ink Delivery Repair

Discussion in 'Talk About Digital Printing' started by Ian-Barber, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    About 12 months ago, my Epson R3880 was starting to show signs of it dying. The PK cartridge was showing full on the display status but in fact it was virtually empty. To add to this confusion, I was suddenly getting blobs of ink appearing on the edges of the paper, not the kind you see from a wrong platen gap setting.

After some web research, I was amazed to see others reporting a similar if not the same symptoms and eventually I managed to located the reason why which turned out to be a leaking seal in the ink delivery system. Unfortunately, this seal is part of a moulded unit and is not replaceable so the only option was to replace the entire Ink delivery unit.

I created a blog post on my website with some pictures showing what I found.

http://www.ianbarberphotography.co.uk/epson-r3880-ink-system-repair/

2. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    As a 3880 user, I find that very interesting. Thanks.

3. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Before I discarded the old ink delivery system, I did dissect it and the offending seal was where the MK and PK rocker arm was, the seal on on the PK side was deformed.