Ebony 45SU

Cospinol

Hello,

I'm looking for an Ebony 45SU in good condition. I know they are hard to find these days, but if you want to sell yours, or if you know someone... I'd be glad if you could contact me.

Thanks.

DPz

Hi Cospinol... I don't have an Ebony but I do have a Deardorff 5x4 Special. Deardorff made them as a 5x7 and fitted a 5x4 back to them so, although slightly larger than a pure 5x4 they're a lot less fiddly. I've owned both Gandolfi & an Ebony 5x4 and prefer the Deardorff by a mile. Triple extension with full swing & tilt on both standards & rising front. I've also a number of lenses going ranging from a 65mm to 210mm. 12 or so Fidelity darkslides plus 16 metal Fidelity sheaths for infrared film. Linhof 6x9 & 6x12 roll film backs. Polaroid 54backs, Fuji back for instant film & even a quickload back. Plus various other accessories collected over the years. I no longer shoot & feel someone ought to be using it for either enjoyment or to earn a crust.

Cospinol

Hi DPz,

thanks for your message. I know the Deardorff 4x5 Special but in my opinion it doesn't compare to Ebony standards, as when it comes to mechanics the Ebony camera's precision is unsurpassed (speaking of wooden cameras). Also the Ebony behaves much more stable in windy outdoor situations (very important to me). Last but not least the 45SU is a non-folding camera, while the DD 4x5 Spec. is a traditional folding view camera and -also very important to me- the 45SU offers asymmetrical focusing.

In summary I'd say that i.g. Ebony cameras are very modern (wooden) view cameras and truely differ from a Deardorff design (so not really comparable). Anyhow I understand that you prefer the Deardorff, as which camera is used when practicing LF photography is a matter of taste and handling. For landscape photography I find the 45SU is very handy.
Thanks anyway.

Cospinol

To everyone reading this thread:
Please only send me a PM (or post a reply) if you have the exact Ebony model (Ebony 45SU) and would like to sell it. I have owned and tested a lot of (a loads of !) LF cameras and actually I am only interested in buying the named camera, no other model, no other camera (for now :)).
Thank you.