Drying Fibre Based Paper

Discussion in 'Talk About Techniques' started by Ian-Barber, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    How are you drying your Fibre Paper prints?

Without going to the expense of a dry mounting press, would laying them face down remove the curl sufficient enough to scan them.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Hi Ian, do a search on Photrio (AUG), Simon R Galley a Harman/Ilford Director (now retired) posted about how to dry FB papers flat. I have a dry mounting press so don't have your problems LD

FB papers don't scan as well as Glossy Resin Coated prints, you're almost better re-photographing the prints with a DSLR.

Ian

3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

I dry FB paper face-down on custom made screens; think window screens. I certainly haven't tried all the flavors of FB paper out there, but I've never had it dry totally flat. Early on, I tried placing finished prints under heavy weight for a couple of weeks, but that didn't help much. Like Ian G, I have a drymount press and that works great for flattening FB prints. Oh, and when I make digital prints I scan the film...just my preference.

4. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Thanks. I was thinking of trying some FB paper for paper negatives as they appear to have more texture than the RC papers. For scanning the paper negatives, I guess I could just place them under some anti newton glass on the scanner which should keep them flat for scanning.

5. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Another way is to peg the corners of two prints, squeegeed back-to-back (emulsion out) and hang the sandwich from a clothes line. Bigger prints might need more pegs. Quicker drying might increase the curl. The edges will still be a little bit curled.
    When the prints are touch-dry, they can be layered between blotting paper under a weight.
    Digital prints can't reproduce the curl of fibre paper.

6. andrewbartram66

andrewbartram66 New Member Registered User

Tape it to glass with brown art tape and trim with a sharp knife when dry - dry down is also minimised as the fibres don’t shrink so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk