Dordrecht with intrepid mk3

roncromberge

So finaly got the time to develop and process 4 photos made with my new intrepid 4x5 mk3 in Dordrecht (the Netherlands)

Film Fomapan 100 @ 50 developed in Pyrocat HD

After development this digital workflow.

Scanned with vuescan @ 3200 dpi raw data.
Imported in Photoshop and converted with colorperfect, despecked.
Loaded in DxO nik Silvereffects for the final touch.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
Nice set Ron although they look for want of a better word "Digital" and over processed to my eyes

David M

A nice set indeed. The clocktower on the left of the first one worries me and there is an unexplained white mark on what looks like a handrail right in the centre.
I don't see any digital artefacts.

roncromberge

Nice set Ron although they look for want of a better word "Digital" and over processed to my eyes
Yes you're right.

Except for the tonality. They don't look analog anymore. And when you zoom in the the full size images to 100 % you see the analog grain.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

David M

I'm not entirely sure of how an analogue version would differ. Can someone be more explicit, please?
(I don't mean what the pixels look like at 100% magnification.)

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
Over exaggerated edges, no smooth transition from tone to tone, digital can be quite abrupt at this, no fall off in image sharpness, to name a few, just a guess but I bet Ron has sharpened his scans tad to much

David M

Hmm... yes. Fair enough. I've blown them up and I can detect a faint sharpening halo. It reminded me the kind of thing we used to see from proselytisers of high acutance developers. I didn't find anything objectionable at the normal on-screen size.

roncromberge

Ha ha,

No i didn't sharpened them. [emoji4]

But it looks like it. Because the photos you're looking at are resized from approx 11000 pics to 2000 pics. Then due to the resuze algorithm you will get a over sharpened effect. And Lightroom will automatically sharpen when it export the photo. And when you upload the photo to the forum it will resize it even furtger down.

When you look at de original photos the gradation is much much smoother.

After all they are processed for digital print at A2 size. [emoji4]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

David M

This is worth knowing, but it would be good to find a solution. I can't think of one, but everybody else here seems cleverer than me, so there's hope.