Does this count as alternative process?

Discussion in 'Alternative Process' started by Joanna Carter, Oct 27, 2018.

1. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Joanna,
    We seem to have have smaller pinheads and angels with tinier feet to dance on them. We also have silver pins and silicon pins to worry about. You raise an important but parallel point about retouching. AA was showing the majesty of the natural world and the graffito disturbed that view. We can imagine (eg) Martin Parr taking care to include it. He is concerned with the peculiarities of human behaviour. Mr Parr is not a large format photographer of course.
    You will also have read AA's account of waiting for the horse to turn into the last available sunbeam. Was he really blessed by extraordinary luck or was he so prolific that he was bound to have serendipity's hand on his shoulder from time to time? If he declares it then there's no deception.

A small point of curiosity here. The offending letters must have been darker on the neg, so do did he ferri them out? Risky process on film. Lemon-squeezy on screen.*

I submit that we are not arguing, in the sense of aggresive disagreement, but rather that we are exploring a subject that interests us. This kindly forum is providing a rare opportunity to get away from Exif data and zoom ratios. To me is seems worthwhile to lift our eyes from the minutiae of (ahem...) miracle developers** and look at a bigger picture.

*Today, perhaps: drum scan neg; retouch letters; dodge and burn; output new neg; print perfect print in darkroom? Append note to back of subsequent prints?

**No reason to avoid discussing developers, but there is more to photography.

2. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    Now and again, we have to stop-think... then (perhaps) change a 'something in our approach to producing an image that in some way 'shows' that which NEEDS to be seen. When I was a 'working' photographer, I had to take into consideration that the 'end result' was regarded as "proof" of something that could be observed by the hominid eye.

My most difficult 'challenge' (ever) was to produce a print that indicated the result on an UNSTAINED polyacrylamide 'gel'.

it required some 'thinking outside the box' using a different approach than the traditional 'stained' polyacrylamide gel. I 'played around with transmitted polarized light cross polarized (after its transmission) to the lens/film. The printed result had the scientist tell me he NEVER thought it could be 'done'... I 'Presented' the technique at a BPA meeting... and, to be honest' I was stunned by the positive reception of the attendees.. on a means of 'solving' a problem' that others had not yet overcome ...and was subsequently 'pressed' into submitting a paper (regarding the technique) to be 'published' in the Journal of Biological Photography.

Ken

3. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Tell us more, please. It sounds like photographing the invisible.
    New thread, perhaps?

4. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    Since my retirement, I no longer 'get' the journal... I had to let my membership lapse... and I'm not sure of it being 'available' on line... But should you have the time to do some 'searching'. May I invite to you do so at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term="Journal+of+the+Biological+Photographic+Association"[Journal]

I threw out the last few of my 'free' copies of that article about two years ago.. after a much needed 'clean out' of some of my overloaded BPA info.file cabinet drawer. The Association changed it 'name' a few years ago (I believe) to Bio-comunications Org. They might be able to provide a photo-copy for your perusal. I believe there are UK members (working in Hospitals and perhaps "institutes of higher learning" ie Universities) who may be willing (and able) to provide a photo-copy of the required pages.

When I have some 'free' time (i.e. when She Who Must be Obeyed has run out of chores for me to accomplish 'before day is done') I see if all my journals are still 'complete' and I can find the 'right' journal to scan my 'paper' and forward it to you.
    Remember that sunlight is 'polarised' by earth's atmosphere and by 'wearing polarizing lenses we are actually 'cross-polarising' re-polarising the light reflected from 'objects' observed.

Ken

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018