De Vere 504 Varicon For Sale

Mungo

I have reluctantly decided to sell my De Vere 504 Varicon head enlarger. It has all the parts to print from 35mm to 5x4. It is built like a tank and would need to be collected - by a couple of people. I've seen some going for a range of high prices on eBay and at Odyssey sales (£1800 !). £700 seems fair to me. I'd like it to go to someone with a real passion for LF photography. I can send pictures if you're interested.

Ian Grant

Mungo, location and a bit more detail would help. I have a floor standing De Vere 5108 and had an ex Navy 54a although I converted it to a horizontal enlarger and used the anti vibration frame frame/column as a copy stand.

My point though is size, floor standing 504's and 5108's need a lot of head room, and bench models need quite a bit as well.

Ian

Mungo

Sorry Ian - I live near Preston in Lancashire. I'll update my profile. The 504 is a bench model - I had it on a custom made bench that was mounted on a steel beam embedded into the wall and it was low down to give me the 'head room' (my darkroom ceiling was only just over 2m high). There are two wheels, one to wind the head up and down the column with, the other to focus with. I'll take some pictures to upload.

I take it your horizontal enlarger is so you can make huge prints when it is projected onto a wall ?

Ian Grant

I take it your horizontal enlarger is so you can make huge prints when it is projected onto a wall ?
I had a business putting photos onto vehicles in the mid 70's to 80's. Essentially I had a darkroom you could turn a transit or larger van in.

1603960371809.png

This one was centre page of the Daily Mail also in Titbits

1603960660369.png

Largest was a full size picture of an FI powerboat.

Ian

David M

How was that done? Did you print directly onto the vehicle? I did know someone who made murals by painting the wall with emulsion and developing with mops.

Ian Grant

How was that done? Did you print directly onto the vehicle? I did know someone who made murals by painting the wall with emulsion and developing with mops.
Yes we printed directly onto the vehicles, or sometimes other materials, I manufactured the emulsion myself which was sprayed onto the prepared material surface, processed by spraying on the chemistry and a 3 hour wash. The wash system was a large water tank then a swimming pool pump feeding two spray panels, nothing complex just the systems used for crop spraying, PVC tubes with spray nozzles every so often.

1604047425317.png

This is from an illustration in Hedgecoe's Advanced Photography, when spraying emulsion and later the lacquer to seal and protect it we always wore air-line face masks and goggles, hence the person on the left.

Ian

David M

Excellent. Thank you.
I believe that they use a different method now – large adhesive panels, digitally printed.
A pity if we lost this skill-set.

james_hock

Hello - is this still available ? I am building my darkroom and am searching for a 4x5 capable enlarger in the UK.

Mungo

James - yes it is. I've been in hibernation for the last few months along with the rest of the country. I have an RH Designs analyser / timer and other stuff as well to help you set up.

Where are you based ?

james_hock

I am in essex near colchester. Maybe MSG me. Happy to travel post lockdown if you are not in a rush.

Mungo

James, I'm not in a hurry. Though the days to pass in a blur just now !! Lets set up a video chat and I can show you the Enlarger clearly. Its big and heavy - not easy to ship !!

james_hock

Sounds great. Can you message me your details and availability please? I have a fairly hectic week ahead.