Darkroom fumes and low odour fixer

Robert

I last week I developed (no pun intended) a slight chesty cough after a couple of lengthy darkroom sessions. I am sure that this was caused by the fumes from the chemicals. I have only been using this new darkroom for a few months so I am still getting it sorted out. It has a powerful extractor fan but the inlet is above head height and the fumes from the trays have to pass past my nose to get to it. A bit of a design error but you live and learn. I spent today adding some ducting to the extractor system to bring the inlet down to chest height and directly above the fixer tray. See the attached photos.

A lick o' paint (as Mr O'Riley would have said to Mr Fawlty) and this will be finished.

Hopefully this will do the trick but to get back to the title of the thread does anyone on this forum use a low odour fixer and if so what experiences can they share about it? I may have to start using one if these mods to the extractor system don't work well enough.

I'm using Ilford's Hypam at the moment.

David M

My own nose was more bothered by the stop than the fix. I believe there are stop baths based on citric acid which are less aggressive.

Robert

I think Ilfostop is based on citric acid. The smell I notice the most is the fixer so I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it is the one that is irritating my tubes. Perhaps I should stop gargling with it...

Alan9940

I use a citric acid stop (which I mix myself) which is odorless. Standard fixers such as Kodak Fixer (F-5) are very smelly to my nose; as is Photo Formulary TF-4/TF-5. I mix my own fixer (F-24) and it has no smell to me. If I had to buy a fixer, I'd be looking for the word "odorless" in the title or product description. Even then, though, I've heard that they're not necessarily totally free of odor.

The exhaust fan modification looks very worthwhile and should help. Good luck!