Dark cloth

Fragments of nature

I've been looking at dark cloths and I was thinking of an alternative for a diy,
I go camping when I can and have all sorts of roll top dry bags so I got one 60-80 ltr bag and carefully cut down in-between the double seam stitch down to the end but left the loop of the roll top .
Then I threaded some elastic through the hem of the roll top.
As the bag is black and waterproof it seems to be working fine.

David M

And you still have the other half to sit or kneel on, or for your next camera.

Marley

As you know, I'm all for making things ... both for the satisfaction of doing it, and because it means we are saving money. Excellent idea :)

David M

Does it have a light-coloured outside? I once had to stop, because my dark dark- cloth became intolerable under bright sun. Not a major hazard in the UK for most of the year, of course.

Marley

Does it have a light-coloured outside? I once had to stop, because my dark dark- cloth became intolerable under bright sun. Not a major hazard in the UK for most of the year, of course.
I paid about £40 for my dark cloth ... it's double sided linen - black and white - and has weighted corners. My previous one was black inside and out and it was like being in an oven on sunny days. Mind you, this 'summer' there have been dang few of those!

David M

Yes, it can be hell in there.
From time to time, I have read of weighted corners being blown about so hard that they smash the ground glass. Has anyone actually experienced this?
…and who would set up a large format camera in winds as strong as that, anyway?
Those fabric-covered lead pellets that are used to weigh down curtains do a much better job. I can never remember what they’re called.

LocalHero1953

I tried the trick of tying small stones into the corners and found it either too heavy, or too easily blown dangerously around. My wife has now made me one to my design: black cloth sewn into an open-ended pillow-size/shape tube. One end has elastic in the seam and fits around the back of the camera, the other has a drawstring that fits around my head, or tighter around a loupe. There's no risk of the wind catching it.

Marley

In my work I use rare earth magnets so a possible plan with the 5x7 camera I'm building is to fix a suitable number of 5mm-1.5mm button neodymium magnets around the camera back and have a dedicated dark cloth that 'snap fits' securely.