Dahlia - Pyrocat Extended Minimal Agitation

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by Ian-Barber, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    This photograph of a Dahlia Pompom was developed in PyroCat HD using the Extended Minimal Agitation process taught by Steve Sherman.

Although Steve Sherman primarily uses Ilford FP4 film, I only had some FomaPan 100 at hand so all bets were off as to what going to happen. I decided to use his FP4 formula as a starting point to see what changes I needed to make from there.

Subject:

I chose to make a photograph of this Dahlia Pompom at a local garden centre.

Metering:
    The difference in exposure from the centre of the flower to the outer petals was reading 3EV on the light meter. I chose to place the centre of the flower on Zone 3 which would make the outer petal fall on Zone 6 (3+3). As I wanted the outer petal to be on Zone 8 I decided I would do an N+2 development to move the Zone 6 to Zone 8 without influencing the shadow values to much.

Exposure:
    The final exposure including bellows factor was 1/4 second @ f/32

Development:
    The negative was developed in PyrocatHD for 39 minutes @ 21°C using the agitation scheme from Steve Sherman's documents.

Dried Negative
    This is a photograph of the dried negative on the light box

Dahlia-Pompom-Pyro-Negative.jpg

Scanning
    The negative was scanned at 2400 ppi using Epson Scan software

Scan & Adjusted Image In Photoshop

Dahlia-Pompom.jpg

Dahlia-Pompom-Pyro-Negative.jpg Dahlia-Pompom.jpg

Diz likes this.
  2. mpirie

mpirie Member

Very nice Ian.

I like the process change you've applied in moving the zones to suit your visualisation.