Conisbrough Castle Doncaster

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Conisbrough Castle is a medieval fortification in Conisbrough, South Yorkshire, England. The castle was initially built in the 11th century by William de Warenne, the Earl of Surrey, after the Norman conquest of England in 1066.

10x8 print on Agfa Glossy paper which according to the box was purchased in 1987.

castle003.jpg

David M

That recession of tones is very attractive. I like the curved path, too. Well done.
May I make two comments?
Firstly, on my screen, it looks like a pinhole, without razor-sharp definition. It may be a phone picture of a matted print.
Secondly, although it's always a difficulty when depicting ruined structures, it seems to be leaning slightly to the right, or clockwise. The camera may have been upright and the castle leaning, but the railings on the left hand side seems to have the same inclination. There are ways to correct this in the darkroom.

Isn't it curious that this castle in Yorkshire was owned by the Earl of Surrey? I've often wondered why Chatsworth, in Derbyshire is owned by the Duke of Devonshire and Syon House, in west London is owned by the Duke of Northumberland. Odd, eh?

joe monteiro

Damm this old paper the stuff just deosn't keep. The color (or colour) is all gone it looks like black and white.
j