ColorNeg Plugin

Discussion in 'Talk About Digital Scanning' started by Ian-Barber, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Does anyone else use ColorNeg for black and white scans.

I have been trying out the ColorNeg by ColorPerfect plugin for Photoshop.

Although I am only using the demo version which contains annoying watermarks, I am really unable to see any difference from converting the negative to a positive in the scanner software

2. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

I've used it for quite awhile now. After many years of trying to coax Epson Scan, VueScan, and Silverfast Ai into providing what, for me, are acceptable scans I happened to stumble on to this plugin after reading a forum thread somewhere. My favorite scanning software, and the one that I think generates the best scans (based on personal testing), is Silverfast Ai; albeit with a caveat. And, that caveat is that it always seems to produce too much contrast for my taste. I tried nearly all the built-in profiles, tweaking all parameters myself, etc, but still couldn't contain the dynamic range as I wanted it. ColorNeg allows me to read a raw scan and tweak things like raw converter software. I won't say it's an easy plugin to come to grips with, but once you've mastered it you'll be generating beautiful full-scale, sharp scans every time (given a decent neg, of course.)

Personally, I couldn't scan film any other way now.

3. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Are you using Silverfast to produce the Linear scan Alan ?

4. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member