C41 Processing

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I want to try some Portra 160 120 roll film to start with before trying some sheet film.
How easy is it to C41 process at home and is there anything I need to be aware of

mpirie

It's been many years since i did C41 processing, but if i remember correctly, it's very similar to B&W processing.

The most important aspect is temperature control of the chemicals as colour casts can result from temperature variations.

Good luck!

Mike

Ian Grant

It's very easy I used to do a C41 and E6 run most weeks, just get a Tetenal kit. I intend to do some again but need to check if my kit is OK, if not I'll get another, I want to do some LF C41 as well as 35mm, I have a De Vere 5108 with a colour head as you know.

Ian

Alan9940

I'm kind of in the same boat...never done C41 at home, but I'm looking at using some Ilford XP2 in the Rolleiflex and I've got some Porta 160 & 400 in the freezer that was given to me. I've been doing some reading up on the Rollei C41 kit, mainly because that's the kit readily available here in the USA. A couple of issues that bother me: 1) density of the negs seems to change as the kit ages and...surprise...the chems don't last as long as the manufacturer suggests, and 2) the instructions for the Rollei kit cover processing in hand tanks, only; I plan to process on my Jobo.

Ian Grant

+/- half a degree C for the developer is relatively easy, you use a pre-soak first and a water bath (a bowl is sufficient) as the development time is quite short.

Ian

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
It’s a higher temp I think from memory 40c, I think for the hassle better sending it of for development, temp variations should be no more or less than half a degree, it’s also a 4 stage process. I used to process both colour and slide film, in my Jobo, makes it an easy process.

Ian Grant

It's a very easy reliable process, I never had any issues with C41 in the may years I used it. I forget I have a Jobo system sat in my darkroom unused since I was given it a few years ago, it has the tempering bath for colour processing.

Ian

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
I threw my Jobo Cpe2 away when I went into digital, now Im back fully with film, so easy with the Jobo, I could kick myself , live and learn

Alan9940

I've had my CPP2 for over 20 years and couldn't imagine not having it; especially for LF film! Every time I run it I pray that it keeps running because the price of a new one is...well, s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y beyond my budget. ;)