B's 4x5 Reel

Alan9940

Very Active Poster
Now that I've received and had a chance to develop a few sheets of film with this reel, I thought I'd pass on a couple of comments in case anyone is interested in this reel. Ian G commented in another thread here that he thought this reel would scratch the film. I've only developed 6 sheets so far, but no scratches to be found and I'm seeing very even development. It is a little tricky to load in the dark--at least, for me, anyway--but after a bit of practice you easily find a technique that works for you (FWIW, I load the reel completely different from what's presented in the video on Benoit's website.) Being that the Paterson 3 tank requires 1L of solution, I really like how quickly it fills and dumps; much faster than a Nikkor style 4x5 tank that I own and have used for years.

Anyway, if anyone is interested you can find out more here: https://www.bounetphoto.com/bs-film-shop/

I have no affiliation with Benoit and I paid full price for my reel. This is simply another option for 4x5 development that, so far, works well for me.

Thank you Alan,
I've just ordered one. Paid with ApplePay, so it was the quickest online transaction I've ever had. I'll pass on my own experience in due time.
No sign a 10x8 version (yet?).

Yes, please provide your feedback once you've used it a bit. I hope you like it. I think you're dreamin' regarding a 10x8 version. I can't even imagine how one would load that large of a sheet into a reel; and, I'm suspecting the reel would have to be of a diameter such that it wouldn't fit into any Paterson tank. I think the only real 10x8 option for those not wanting to develop in open trays or tanks (and can't afford a Jobo) will be the Stearman Press tank, if it ever sees the light of day! ;)

I was impressed by the simplicity and ingenuity of the 5x4 and 7x5 tanks and the motor base, so I shall live in hope.
Realistically, I don't expect anything very soon. 10x8 may be an unprofitable market anyway, although 3-D printing might overcome that. I can dream... I can hold my breath too...
The Stearman tank seems to be progressing through its development iterations. We shall see. The Paterson Orbital seems a reasonable alternative, if you can find one and make the necessary modifications.
Who would have thought that even today, there is someone who designs mechanical watches?

Who would have thought that even today, there is someone who designs mechanical watches?

LOL! Hey, mechanical watches is all I own. Care to guess why I shoot LF? :D (hint: I'm a throwback!)

I'm wearing a clockwork watch too. I would have guessed that mechanical watch designers survived only in Switzerland. Obviously I was wrong.

Back