Bob Wheeler's "vade mecum"

KenS

I usually used it for 'providing' the proper 'required' exposure increase when making 'close-ups' (photo-macroscopy).
You enter the film speed/f-stop/bellows extension... press 'enter' and the correct information is provided on the screen.

It was one of the best "Must-Haves' for anyone doing that kind of work on a somewhat 'regular basis' and, when loaded into the Palm Pilot it saves a LOT of 'mental arithmatic' calculations (and possible 'mistakes'&'oopsies'). The greatest benefit was when you had to 'fill the frame' with the subject at an 'unknown' magniication. You entered F/L ...bellows extension, incident light meter reading and f-stop .. press the button and the 'correction' was/is provided. I usually had to do that kind of work on a daily basis,
ie. providing a 'series' of two or more fungal/bacterial cultures' over a given time period... saved a LOT of mistakes.

Ken

Ian Grant

There's a Bellows Factor App (that's its name) for Android, allow for filter factors as well. When I searched for it on Play Store there were more APP options some of which allowed bellows calculations as well. One seems particularly useful Art of Foto. 35mm, MF and LF lens equivalents, Bellows Extension, Reciprocity failure, another Inverso does the same.

There's even an Ilford Reciprocity Calculator, I'm sure there's plenty similar on the Apple App Store, all teh Android one's were free.

Ian

David M

I'm surprised there isn't something available for the iPhone. It's a very popular device and the worldwide LF community isn't all that tiny. And it seems to be growing.
In fact, it's the whole film community that would be the target, not just the ones with the inconvenient cameras.

Ian Grant

I already have an Imperial camera. Will that do?
I hope so I have two Imperial cameras, on a Triple Extension Imperial, however until I make bellows for them an App would be useless :D

One App had Inch to Metric conversion. . . . . . . . .

Ian

Ian Grant

I'm surprised there isn't something available for the iPhone. It's a very popular device and the worldwide LF community isn't all that tiny. And it seems to be growing.
In fact, it's the whole film community that would be the target, not just the ones with the inconvenient cameras.

There was an App by Martin Barr but it's no longer on the App Store as it wasn't updated. I don't have an iPhone but I'd be very surprised if there's not iPhone equivalents of the 3 apps I've just installed on my Android phone, and there were others I didn't investigate further.

Ian

Paul Kay

If I was to be undertaking large format macro photography (which I won't because I don't see the point personally) then I'd make or buy a back with a dSLR or EVF camera male bayonet and assess exposure using that, then apply reciprocity adjustments. A practical modern solution .....

Ian Grant

I'm hoping to do some close up work today or tomorrow, 5x4 and possibly 10x8 or 7x5, I'll use the 30+ year old markings on the Wista, a tape measure and try one of the Apps 10x8, same with 7x5 but the camera has the metric scales to allow measurement anyway :D

Ian

Alan9940

I prefer a 300mm Nikkor M for 8x10 though :D
I use that lens as a long focal length for 5x4. When I began shooting 10x8 in the early 80's, my first and only lens at the time was a 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar. It was a fine lens, but my eye just didn't want to conform to a normal focal length. So, I sold the Ektar and bought a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S; a massive piece of glass for sure! Used that lens for decades, but my advancing years seem to demand that I lighten my load! ;) So, I entered my pledge for the Intrepid 10x8 Mk I and waited... During that time, I lucked into a 360mm Fuji A which I always wanted, but they're a bit hard to come by. Nowadays, it's my absolute favorite lens for 10x8.

Ian Grant

Alan, I bought my 300mm f9 Nikkor M many years ago new (about 30) at a time when the Yen was at a high against the Pound (so quite expensive). However I found despite all the rave reviews it wasn't really usable here in the UK with my Wista 45DX, unless it was a very bright still day, and I shoot in all weathers, that's down to camera stability at full bellows extension rather than the lens itself. I now use a 360mm Tele Xenar on my Wista or 7x5 cameras, needing little bellows extension the camera's stable.

Ian

Alan9940

Ian G, I use it on my Toho FC-45X without issue, though I try not to use that camera any day I think it will be windy. If I don't know what I might be facing, I'll drag along the Arca-Swiss. That camera is solid as a rock in all situations where I've used it.

KenS

Part one of the solution.. Pulled out my 'older/previo Mac on which the programme was first 'installed'. Booted it up after its 'long sleep and behold the Vade mecum programme is still 'there'.. all ready to 'go'. After I have 'enjoyed' my first mug of coffee and taken 'dog for his morning 2 kilometer hike around the coulee I'll get things 'started'... and all I have to 'do'now, is 're-learn' the stylus 'strokes'' to enter the correct information and the 'problem should be solved'. That being said, it just means that I will have that 'one more' piece of hardware to humph around when there's a chance I might 'find a small subject that needs to be 'recorded to film.

Ken

David M

This is a device I've found very useful. You simply align the left hand arrow with the film plane and the cursor with (for practical purposes) the lens board, then read off the adjustment against the focal length. The other side has focal lengths up to 500mm.
A bit fragile for backpacking, but fine indoors.

KenS

Great if you are wearing 'yer wellies' (Glaswegian for wellington boots) but does not fold up for 'hip pocket 'storage'. :cool:

Ken