Avoiding dust problems.

Keith tapscott.

Hi folks,

Just wondering how you go about avoiding dust problems with your film sheets from loading the film holders through to removing them for processing.
I developed two 5x7 sheets the weekend and there was the odd dust spot despite cleaning the film holders before loading.
I use a Redwing pop-up changing bag/tent if that helps.

Advice appreciated.

In my experience, staying dust free is one step below the search for the holy grail. I will subscribe to this thread and see what those with far greater knowledge and experience suggest.

Hi folks,

Just wondering how you go about avoiding dust problems with your film sheets from loading the film holders through to removing them for processing.
I developed two 5x7 sheets the weekend and there was the odd dust spot despite cleaning the film holders before loading.
I use a Redwing pop-up changing bag/tent if that helps.

Advice appreciated.

My process involves multiple steps:

1. Before loading, I tap the sides of the holder to the edge of a counter top to dislodge anything stuck in there
  2. I use clean compressed air (in my case from an unused scuba tank and regulator reconfigured as a clean air source) to blow out the holder, under the retaining edges, and along the light trap. Never use an ordinary air compressor - they blow dirty, oily air.
  3. I dust off the dark slides with a brush.
  4. I then place the holder with the just cleaned dark slides in proper orientation onto an antistatic bag of proper size. These are the bags you see computer cards come in. They typically have a silver sheen to them and a ziplok type closure.
  5. Lights out and load the holder.
  6. I then slip the holder into the antistatic back for transportation and use.
This process, plus the use of the antistatic bags for transportation has largely eliminated dust, thought not perfectly so.

I use the Calumet version when I'm wandering Keith. I tend to pop it up and leave it to 'settle' for a while before using. Occasionally I will pop it up and stick the vacuum pipe in one of the arm holes and let it do its thing for a while. Then open the zip and hoover the seams. Not 100% dust free, but certainly helps.
Cheers, Diz

Thanks folks, I will indeed give the Redwing a darn good vacuum clean when I reload the films. The film holders too.
Hopefully no dust next time.
I made sure the Paterson Orbital was clean before processing.
Oh well, all part of the learning.

If I'm not travelling, I load all the darkslides I need with film in my darkroom. This I find, is the best option.

When on holiday, I have a Fuji dark box FDB12L, a Harrison tent or Calumet pop up. The main issue I tend to have with all of them, is the rise in humidity, once your arms are inside. I've had film seemingly 'glue' itself inside the darkslide, making it difficult to remove. Dust, I believe, also tends to stick or 'weld' itself in these sweaty conditions.
So, in my experience, try to load film with as low moisture in the air as possible, to avoid stickiness. And whether it helps or not I don't know, but I remove my shoes and place my feet on the ground with the goal of earthing myself and removing/lowering any build up of electrical static charge. And I try to where cotton or at least avoid man-made fabrics when loading film!

If I'm not travelling, I load all the darkslides I need with film in my darkroom. This I find, is the best option.

When on holiday, I have a Fuji dark box FDB12L, a Harrison tent or Calumet pop up. The main issue I tend to have with all of them, is the rise in humidity, once your arms are inside. I've had film seemingly 'glue' itself inside the darkslide, making it difficult to remove. Dust, I believe, also tends to stick or 'weld' itself in these sweaty conditions.
So, in my experience, try to load film with as low moisture in the air as possible, to avoid stickiness. And whether it helps or not I don't know, but I remove my shoes and place my feet on the ground with the goal of earthing myself and removing/lowering any build up of electrical static charge.
If only Readyloads were available in various sizes. Trouble is that they would be expensive, so maybe not.

Thanks folks, I will indeed give the Redwing a darn good vacuum clean when I reload the films. The film holders too.
Hopefully no dust next time.
I made sure the Paterson Orbital was clean before processing.
Oh well, all part of the learning.

I strongly recommend against using a vacuum cleaner anywhere near film or darkroom. Conventional vacuums - even the ones with HEPA filtration - throw off dust in their exhaust. The HEPA filtered ones are better, but still emit some slight amount of dust. They are intended primarily to scoop up larger particles, not remove dust completely. In effect, they more-or-less become dust blowers in some degree. Moreover, in dry, cold climates, the motion of the air through the vacuum assembly can cause static charge buildup which is a magnet for dust.

Keeping your film holders clean with the process I outline upthread is one part of the equation. The other is to make sure your working surfaces and loading area are as dust free as humanly possible. Here again, I do not run my darkroom fan, I do not dust by hand, or otherwise do anything to stir things up. At most, I periodically wipe down the relevant darkroom surfaces with a cloth dampened with water - and I don't do that the same day I am loading film.

Last edited:
I second that. Unless you have a laboratory-standard clean room, leave the dust alone. A lightly damp cloth to wipe down the working surface. Choose your clothes carefully, too. Take care to brush the dust away from the working area.

One thing we have omitted amidst all this good advice, is what happens next. Drying. We process the film for maximum stickiness and hang it up in free air. Apply the right amount of wetting agent. Choose a space that hasn’t been disturbed - quite possibly still in the darkroom - hang up the film and go away. Stay away. Don’t bang about tidying up and making dust. If your water is very hard, the little drop that forms in the bottom corner may leave a deposit. If so, creep in after about an hour, touch each drop with a gentle fingertip and creep away again, closing the door gently. When they’re properly dry, pack them and label them.

Back